How is this possible

Old 02-23-17, 03:12 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
How is this possible

Hi All,a friend asked for some help with his voice mail, he insists he has Comcast for phone service however his phone is connected to a standard phone jack,no modems are in the property,when the number is dialed the option is there to leave a message but no means to listen to it.

Geo

Old 02-23-17, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Comcast is strictly cable so if he has Comcast..... there is a modem somewhere.

If he has Comcast service he would be paying a bill from them. On that bill would be a customer service. They could explain the voice mail system.

You could use this link too..... xfinity/support/phone/voicemail

Old 02-24-17, 04:48 AM
Hi Pete, exactly,I thought I might have been missing something,he insists its Comcast,this is an older person who has no clue on this technology, he was trying to setup a personal voicemail device and it won't work because the other system is picking up the call before the new does,even with the new one set for max rings,I'll have to convince him to check his check book to see if he can find the other service he is paying for.

Old 02-24-17, 05:50 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If phone service is "bundled" with the rest of his service it might not show up on the too-confusing bill as a charge.

My Comcast cable modem has the phone modem built in. Look for a phone wire from his modem to a nearby phone jack that "activates" all the phone jacks in the house.

Old 02-24-17, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
In the link it explains that you can pick the phone up and dial a code to get to your VM.

Normally when you are away from the house the VM will answer the phone and then you enter your passcode.

the other system is picking up the call before the new does,
It sounds like you are describing two answering systems.
If he has one connected in the house it must be disconnected or turned off.

Old 02-24-17, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have Cox and I don't have a phone modem.
It's a coincidence that Cox just came out yesterday and I learned there is no phone modem.

I didn't ask the tech too much, but his plan is to come out next week and install a phone modem.
I need (volunteered) to run cable and a phone line from the desired location, out to the existing box where cable comes in.

I don't know how it's done, but my phone works fine in all aspects. It's not using the computer modem and I know where every phone wire goes.

Old 02-24-17, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
The telephone can't be connected directly to coax/fiber. There has to be a conversion point.

Cox Digital phone service is fiber based. That means they probably have pole mounted fiber hubs for phone service.

Old 02-25-17, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Modem/hub at the pole makes sense. I have fiber optic phone, cable and internet thru the electric company but they only run 2 fiber optic cables from the road to the pole near my house. Other than a battery back up box for the phone, there is no modem or special equipment in/at my house. Both the phone and cable are hooked to the existing lines in the house.

My phone service comes with voice mail but I never set it up but use my old answering machine instead. Not sure what would happen if I tried to use both.

Old 02-25-17, 04:58 AM
Problem solved,after much investigating it was determined that they have Century Link phone service which included VM which they never used,I made the call to CL and had the VM service removed,all is well now,OMG!
Geo

Old 02-25-17, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The telephone can't be connected directly to coax/fiber. There has to be a conversion point.
Here's the box Pete. It has the main coax drop, house coax for TV and internet, and a telephone line that is connected into the original house lines (not back feeding as tech suggests).

I'm wondering why I need a phone modem if all is good, phone works great. The tech said something about this is old technology and they just go ahead and replace everything as SOP.

I don't want to fish a new coax and phone line to the new phone modem if not needed, but will if advised. I was thinking of not even having a land line in the near future.

Name:  IMG_0347.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  22.4 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: