Apple vs Android

Old 02-18-16, 08:15 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Apple vs Android

This thread is not to debate which is better or worst.

I currently own an Android. Recently, Android has so many updates that break my apps. For example, Google Voice is no longer working properly with the recent Android update.

Has anyone owned both and can you share? I am seriously thinking about switching over to Apple IPhone 6. With that being said, does IPhone 6 supports Google Voice app?

When IPhone 4s came out years ago, I owned an IPhone 4s for a week but I could not stand it so I returned it. However, Apple definitely gets a point from me for standing up for their consumers' right (encryption)!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-16, 08:26 AM
Features that will be deciding factors:
  • SWYPE
  • Import/Export files from and to Phone
  • Google Voice
  • MAP & GPS (accuracy)
  • Plays MP4 & MP3

Old 02-18-16, 08:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Android is typically going to give you more control over the phone as one of Apple's basic business tenets is that they know better than you do what the phone should and shouldn't do. Simple example is removing the battery.

I personally own Android and will not change but the more fashion-conscious tend to gravitate toward Apple devices so my daughter, of course, has an iPhone. It's decent but I don't see the reason to spend what it takes to get one when my Android which cost 1/3 the price does everything I need.

Old 02-18-16, 08:32 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
However, Apple definitely gets a point from me for standing up for their consumers' right (encryption)!
So far, they did the right thing. That case has to be watched closely. If the Feds threaten arrest, it could change.

Old 02-18-16, 09:12 AM
Received 257 Votes on 231 Posts
Typically an Apple item is very well built. But you pay for it. I'm with Stickshift on this one. I'll gladly pay less for a phone that I have more control over and be willing to put up with some of the inconsistencies that Android might have. Besides if lost or broken the pain to replace it ($) is not as great.

Old 02-18-16, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
Which Android device do you have? The version of Android on many devices especially those from the major carriers are controlled by the carrier. So, it's not as simple as saying you are having trouble with Android. My Droid Turbo did not receive the upgrade to 5.0. So, for the first year my phone was running a 4 version. There were issues with 5.0 and Verizon/Motorola did not make that version available instead holding off until the next revision so my phone went directly to 5.1, skipping the versions in between. And I'm still running 5.1 even though Marshmallow (version 6) has been out for about 6 months.

Old 02-18-16, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
I'm an IPhone lover, but to answer your questions:
Yes to SWYPE and Google voice
You can use Google Maps or you can download other Map apps. You don't have to use the one that comes with it, but it's supplied by TomTom, so not bad.
You can import/export files by connecting to a PC.
Not sure about MP4

Mod note: Hopefully this thread isn't going to turn into an off-topic privacy issue discussion or it'll have to be closed.

Old 02-18-16, 10:10 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If privacy (encryption) is part of the Apple vs Android purchasing decision--why would it be "off topic"? For some it would be a more important "feature" than Swype...

Old 02-18-16, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
Show me where he's asking about this being part of his decision in whether he should get an IPhone or not.

He's already stated that's a feature he likes about it and was asking about SWYPE and other things.

Talking about privacy issues between Apple and the government will just lead to political back and forth which isn't allowed on here.

Old 02-18-16, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Show me where he's asking about this being part of his decision in whether he should get an IPhone or not.
Well he did say this..

However, Apple definitely gets a point from me for standing up for their consumers' right (encryption)!

I am an I phone guy.. I despise android anything...

Where my wife is android and does not like i phone ( Only because she thinks they are overrated and does not want to follow trends)

The I phone IMO is swipe away based.. Just as it states once you learn how the phone behaves over android you'll never go back to android..

Phone unlocks using your fingerprint which is one of the best features I know.. Or you use a passcode to unlock..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKeBnSF0vwY

Old 02-19-16, 08:17 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 121 Posts
I'm an iPhone fan myself, but..

When IPhone 4s came out years ago, I owned an IPhone 4s for a week but I could not stand it so I returned it.
The iPhone 6/6S isn't that much different than the iPhone 4. Sure it's gotten bigger, faster, higher resolution, etc... but the basic workings are the same. So if you didn't like the iPhone 4s, you probably won't like the newer ones either.

Old 02-19-16, 09:01 AM
StickShift and Norm201, thanks for providing the comparison on this.

Pulpo, if a backdoor was never built into the encryption in the first place, then the Feds can threaten all they want. Apple can only be in a support role on the attempt of breaking the encryption. If a backdoor was never created, good luck. However, I remember from an episode on Dateline that one of the criminal went to Apple store and she got an Apple representative to unlock the phone of the victim for her. I don't know how Apple works. Notice: Google is jumping in on this to ensure branding and sales to continue.

Pilot Dane, I have a Note 4 running on 5.1. Ever since the upgrade of the OS, lots of my apps have been broken. I checked with my carrier and they said that Verizon, TMobile and one other one are also experiencing the same thing with this phone. I have also checked on Google Apps, there are a number of people with other phones also crashing because of the upgrade.

I thought Kitkat was good. Lollipop came out and just screwed things up.

Shadeladie, thanks for confirming on the features because I was waiting for those before I reply.

guy48065, Encryption is everything in my world.

Lawrosa, I was an Android fan for years until recently, bloatwares and apps breaking are just kind of too much. Plus, the Note 5 is made to resemble the IPhone 6 which is ridiculous. Note 5 can no longer remove the battery; insert additional memory, etc... If that is the case, I might as well get the IPhone6. especially now ShadeLadie has confirmed the features have been crossovered. I can live without battery removal and additional memory but I cannot live without Google Swype, Google Map and Google Voicemail.

I think part of the reason why IPhone did not support additional flash memory is very smart. It is a security feature incase if you lose your phone. If I lose my Note 4 right now, the phone is secure but not the flash memory.

Zorfdt, I think this could be a deciding factor:

Originally Posted by Zorfdt
The iPhone 6/6S isn't that much different than the iPhone 4. Sure it's gotten bigger, faster, higher resolution, etc... but the basic workings are the same. So if you didn't like the iPhone 4s, you probably won't like the newer ones either.

Anyway, off to the phone store today to do my shopping.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-19-16, 01:36 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Pulpo, if a backdoor was never built into the encryption in the first place, then the Feds can threaten all they want.
I hope that you are right. We'll see.

Old 02-23-16, 10:34 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not a phone geek so I'll probably mangle the explanation but I had one app break on my Android phone when it updated to 5.1.1 and that was a music streaming app that connected to my home server. I was told (another forum) it's because Google switched from whatever browser model they had always used to a Chrome-based one and that broke apps not already supporting Chrome. I'm guessing most apps don't need such connectivity.

My app is no longer supported so I was forced to install and learn a new, supported one.
Things change way too fast these days...

Old 02-24-16, 08:51 AM
B
I work in IT and have extensive experience with both.

Apple IMO is built to be very user friendly. I have a mother-in-law who still has a dumbphone. I'm talking the ones before flip phones. When it inevitably dies, and she is forced to get a smartphone, I will be recommending an iPhone. They have a very small learning curve. Another great feature is that their App Store has much better compatibility with their phones, because there is only one version of their OS out at any given time.
Android is very customizable but tends to be buggy, only because of the different versions of OS's and apps available. They also offer much more granularity in how much control you have over your device (rooting, custom OS's, etc.) Although, since Verizon and ATT have starting locking their bootloaders this process has become much tougher.

TL;DR- iPhone for compatibility, Android for customization.