Liquid cooling kit

Old 03-12-16, 11:31 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Liquid cooling kit

I'm considering installing a Liquid cooling kit. I notice the radiator is 120mm wide. And the back ventilation of my PC case is only 90mm wide. I'm thinking of attaching the radiator on the front of the case. But the case does not have a ventilation on the front and the front cover is made of plastic without any holes. Would this be okay to put the radiator on the front of the case? And would the radiator need to suck air to cool itself?

Old 03-12-16, 02:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I think that you'll be defeating the purpose if you install the radiator in the front. Like any other radiator, the air has to flow through it. Before you buy the kit, try a small table fan, even if it's only 6". Point the fan at the PC. It should cool it unless you are mining bitcoins or something.

Old 03-13-16, 01:13 AM
C
Since you mentioned "the air has to flow through it". The kit includes a fan, will that air from the fan be sufficient?

Old 03-13-16, 01:16 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
will that air from the fan be sufficient?
It should be fine. As I said before, you probably only need a fan.

Old 03-13-16, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Just curious what are the specs on your system? Liquid cooling was getting popular until the newer, cooler running chips were introduced. My P4 chip was WAY hotter them my current i7.

Old 03-14-16, 10:38 AM
C
right now, I have intel i5 4460.... but i'm upgrading to intel 4690k and want to OC to 4 Ghz. 16GB RAM DDR3. GTX 960.

Old 03-16-16, 07:11 AM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
My I7 has been accompanied with a Zalman fan (silver arctic) for the last 4 years. It is always at 35c when idile. My system is encrypted. So when it moves large files (quantity and size), it can reach 70c. It never passes 85c. I leave the side panel off so it operates at room temperature. Unless you are doing heavy gaming or video editing, then a water cooler is an option.

My pc keeps my room warm during winter. During summer, I have a window ac unit and that keeps the room and pc cool/dehumidifier.

If you live in Singapore or Hong Kong, a water cooler will not be enough because it only cools the CPU. The humidity over there produces water in the electronic equipment. That means hard drives can also over heat or malfunction from the moisture. Of course, you probably don't live there. The point is to protect all of your hardware, not just only the CPU.

IMO...
The best thing you can do for your pc is to keep the room temperature at comfortable (with an AC during summer) and an air purifier.

Last edited by WRDIY; 03-16-16 at 08:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: