Aluminium Devices - Bad Wifi Connection?

Old 04-11-16, 03:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminium Devices - Bad Wifi Connection?

Hello there. It was the second time today that i read something about a connection between laptops or mobile phones made of aluminium and a bad wifi or mobile reception. Do you guys have any experience with this? I'm thinking about buying a new Lenovo laptop made of aluminium and this really concerns me, eventhough i can't really belive it because all the big electronic companies like apple, samsung and lenovo made products of aluminium. Is there something to it?

Old 04-11-16, 03:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My current work laptop is aluminum and it works ok. That said, we have brands of laptop in the office which work better but I cannot definitively say that has anything to do with the aluminum. It does, however, seem to be only this brand and we have other brands with aluminum cases so I don't believe the skin is the issue.

Old 04-11-16, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Depending on where the wireless communicator is located inside the laptop.... I would think that the aluminum case would have to decrease the range slightly.

Old 04-11-16, 04:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Depending on where the wireless communicator is located inside the laptop.I would think that the aluminum case would have to decrease the range slightly.
According to some of the google search results, that's at least part of the answer. The rest of it may have something to do with how the adapter is grounded to the case & how the machine is grounded through the power supply. A possible work around is a USB wifi adapter.

Old 04-13-16, 09:47 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I'm not convinced that it's specifically the aluminum case that causes wifi issues. I think it has more to do with the computer design, wifi chipsets, antenna placement, etc in a specific computer. A well designed and built computer will work better than a cheaply designed one.

Granted, I don't have any specific knowledge about these manufacturers and models to give a real opinion about it. I would say though that if you like the computer and features, I wouldn't not buy it because of the aluminum case.

Old 04-13-16, 01:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
A well designed and built computer will work better than a cheaply designed one.
Yes & using aluminum is part of a cheap design.

Old 04-14-16, 09:53 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes & using aluminum is part of a cheap design.
Actually laptops with aluminum cases are normally on the high-end of the cost scale because lunar cases are much more expensive than plastic ones that are normally used. Apple laptops are good example of this as are some of the other high-end ones as noted by the OP.

Old 04-14-16, 01:59 PM
H
In my opinion it depends solely on how good the wifi card is and you really will not know how good the card is unless you do some research and even then you might not know for sure. I know you are inquiring about laptops but I have one example in the tablet category that is made mainly of aluminum. That example is my IPad I received last year for free from a survey place. We are in the process of selling our rental property which currently has no router of wifi but is next door to our house and while the signal is kind of weak it isn't bad. So it depends greatly on manufacturer.

I am not endorsing IPads and I am not a big fan of Apple products but I do believe they have good wifi cards in them. The best you really can do is figure which brands of laptops you like and then read some reviews of the model you like best.

Old 05-12-16, 02:57 PM
Great, those were some really interessting points of you guys. Read a lot of product tests and reviews meanwhile and i got the same impression. No matter if laptop, tablet or smartphone. The aluminium case doesn't really do anything about the wifi connection (at least not as much that you could notice), it's much more about the hardware inside! thank you!

Old 05-12-16, 09:38 PM
H
You are welcome have you decided on a laptop or other device?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: