Internet Explorer problems

Old 04-18-16, 06:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Internet Explorer problems

I am running windows 10 with internet explorer 11. Until recently, all worked fine. Suddenly, IE crashes (sends message that IE has stopped working) when I try to use either Amazon.com (simply sits there when you select "shop amazon") or Weather.com (message appears immediately). All other favorites appear to work fine. Mail works fine. Can you suggest a way to repair IE and keep all my favorites and other items?

Old 04-18-16, 06:52 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's probably some malware that's causing it. Go to malwarebytes.org Download the free version of anti malware. Install, update, & run it. Make sure that you uncheck the box that says Enable Free Trial of the Pro Version.

Side note: When I used IE, I used custom settings to block scripting. Now I use Firefox with Noscript.

Old 04-18-16, 07:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
IE is not a great browser. Given that you're on Win 10, have you tried Edge?

Old 04-18-16, 01:27 PM
J
I ran Malwarebytes (thanks for the suggestion and site), but it did not correct the problem. It all works under both Edge and Chrome. I can use those, but I am comfortable with IE. Can you suggest anything else?

Old 04-18-16, 01:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Open a command prompt & run

sfc /scannow

Don't forget the space between the c & the /

Old 04-18-16, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I know it is difficult to let go, but technology has surpassed IE's ability to keep up. It is bullet riddled and it updates every day due to security issues. I don't even want it on my computer. Browsers have come a long way. While I don't trust Edge, I use Firefox as a primary browser. No problems at all with it.

Old 04-18-16, 05:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It is bullet riddled and it updates every day due to security issues.
That's true. However, there are ways to make it safer through custom level settings. Firefox offers those settings with far less interaction from the user.

Old 04-19-16, 06:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
IE is one of Microsoft's browsers and I'm on Microsoft sites a couple times a week for work - you can't view their sites with IE, you have to use a different browser.

Where's the dropping the microphone on the floor emoji when you need it....

Old 05-06-16, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Speaking of problems with IE, is anyone having problems with IE9? I have it on both my computers, and recently, it's started having loading problems. It used to load instantly, but in the last week or two, it sometimes refuses to load for several minutes. I've run anti-virus and anti-spyware, and nothing shows up. I also keep getting messages from internet sites that tell me IE9 is no longer being supported, but Microsoft still issues monthly updates for IE9, so I'm not sure what they mean by "not supported". Yes, I have Firefox installed, but it's not intituitive for me, and doesn't play nicely on some websites that say they're optimized for IE only. I can't update IE9 to a later version of IE, since IE9 is the latest version that will run on Vista. So I guess I'm screwed unless I invest in two new computers and compatible printers.

Old 05-06-16, 09:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Vista? Wow, that's tough.

Have you tried Chrome?

Old 05-07-16, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I was the last hold out on XP, I believe. Nothing down the line suited me and I found it too artsy fartsy for basic computing. I had to upgrade, so I bought a computer with W10 on it, dreading the assimilation that I would have to go through. Seamless. Others may nay say, but W10 is a rocket.
So I don't really understand why we stay with outdated browsers that can't deliver when alternative ones are out there completely compatible with Vista or other OS, with little updating needed.

I would definitely switch browsers and let IE go by way of the dinosaur.

Old 05-07-16, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I might check into having Windows 10 installed on both my computers. I bought both of them in 2008, and replacing both with comparable units, along with new Microsoft Office, Norton antivirus, and 2 new printers (my current printers are good for up to Windows 7). Not sure if 2008 vintage computers are worth the upgrade expense, but otherwise I'm looking at $2000 minimum to replace them, more if printers are involved. Then the challenge of learning a new operating system, since I no longer have access to IT training at work. I wish I could find a trustworthy computer guy who could give me unbiased opinions. I don't trust the salesguys at Best Buy, and to lesser degree, Staples.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: