Deleting duplicate video and image files

Old 07-01-16, 09:54 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Deleting duplicate video and image files

I backed up the micro SD card from my cell phone this afternoon and clicked okay to merge folders with duplicate name (e.g. MEDIA, DCIM, etc). However, I also inadvertently clicked "copy and keep both files". So now I have hundreds if not thousands of duplicate files (one with the original name and one with a "(2)" at the end). Is there a simple way to delete all of these duplicate files? I started to delete them one by one but it was taking extremely long a time. I found a couple software tools online, but two of them didn't work and the third costs $59.95. I just need the program one time though.

Old 07-01-16, 09:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Try searching for *(2).jpg and see if that pulls them up.

Old 07-01-16, 02:10 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stickshift has the right idea. Use the wildcard. Open a command prompt. Type the drive letter followed by a :
Press enter.

Then use the cd command to get to the correct directory. For example: cd dcim Press enter. Then run:
del *.jpg
or whatever

Old 07-01-16, 11:35 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
This one is for free and should get you where you need:

Download Duplicate Cleaner

If you are not computer savy, I would avoid using command prompt with DEL and wildcard command. It will lead you to a new problem if you delete the wrong files, which is recovery. And from what I recall, DEL from command prompt do not send to recycle bin.

If the above software does not work for you, let me know and I can write a script for you to move all duplicates to a separate folder for your review, prior to delete action.

Old 07-02-16, 01:05 AM
D
I'm sure that you have good intentions but I wouldn't recommend using a script from a stranger either.

Old 07-02-16, 03:00 AM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If I was to write a script, I would leave the source code in code brackets for others to review, just like any other open source code forum (C#, VB, Java, vbscript, PowerShell, SQL, etc...). It is standard practice in any coding forum for programmers.

If it is a compile exe, then of course that is a different story. But as i have shared, it is a script and it is safe to say there are other programmers using this forum too who can review or share.

Last edited by WRDIY; 07-02-16 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 04:45 AM
H
I have used a free program called DoubleKiller. While I haven't used it in many years, as I recall, it has all the options to do what you want.

Old 07-02-16, 05:36 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Easiest, fastest way is to delete the entire folder, create a new empty folder, and copy them again. Once.

Old 07-02-16, 06:14 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I may be confused which aint unusual but, as I understand it, you copied the files from your phone to your computer. I cant figure out if you have one original & two copies or one original & one copy. So, I dont know exactly how to word my answer/questions to you.

If you have one original on your phone & two copies on your computer, and you want to delete one of the copies on the computer, I'm with Rick Johnson. Its apparent you know where both copies are because you are apparently seeing two folders. DCIM & DCIM2.
If this is the case, just single click on DCIM2 (that will highlight that folder). At this point, you can do one of two things. Push the "delete" key on your keyboard..... OR you can right click on the highlighted folder & choose "delete" from the options.
That will delete the unwanted DCIM2 folder & all of its contents. The DCIM folder will still be on your computer & you will still have the original on your phone.

Old 07-03-16, 04:36 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I ended up searching the folder for (2).jpg and then deleted all of them. Thanks fellas.

Old 07-03-16, 04:58 PM
D
Good for you. I'm glad to hear it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: