How to Handle WPA.dbl Files

Old 09-07-16, 12:02 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
How to Handle WPA.dbl Files

Last May I installed XP Home in an old desktop I have to run my cnc machine. After the installation I activated windows and then I did not get the annoying windows asking me that I have 30 days left for activation. BTW the XP Home DVD I have now is useless because I have exceeded the 25 times allowed to activate windows.

A couple of days ago I decided to install Linuxcnc on this desktop. Before doing this installation I copied the files WPA.dbl and WPA.bak to my usb stick because I knew (perhaps wrong) that this two files are the XP activation files for this particular desktop.

Since Linuxcnc is too complicated to configure for my machine I decided to re install XP and since now I can’t use the activation process I went to safe mode and copied the 2 files from my usb back into the system32 folder and I said to replace the existing files.

Well it didn’t work, XP now is asking me again to activate the system and of course I can’t because I have exceeded my 25 times.

Anyone knows if these 2 files perhaps need to be handled in another way?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-16, 12:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I know it's out of support but I would think about calling Microsoft, they generally are pretty easy to deal with on items like activating too many times and such.

Old 09-07-16, 01:51 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I doubt very much that Microsoft will help you. As far as they are concerned, XP is gone forever, except for banks & businesses. Delete the wpa.dbl file & rename the wpa.bak file to wpa.dbl.

If that doesn't work go to:
WinXP product activation cracked: totally, horribly, fatally • The Register

Old 09-07-16, 04:00 PM
Renaming the wpa.bak to .dbl did not work either donoli and I did call MS but after 40 minutes of waiting I gave up. It’s totally disgusting to have a legal MS OS and not been able to use it more than 25 times.

Old 09-07-16, 05:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you considered using Linux instead of Windows? http://linuxcnc.org/

Old 09-08-16, 12:29 AM
H
I looked into your problem with the cnc software and the activation of Windows and it looks like you are out of options with Windows XP. I think if you were still within the bounds of Windows activation of less than 25 times they still wouldn't let you re-activate Windows. If you don't like the Linux program which is free then I suggest buying a new computer with Windows 10 on it. There are programs you can download and use on a trial basis to see if they suit your needs. However they are expensive one I looked at was $175.00.

I only looked at one brand of software and used the key words free cnc software in my search on Bing. Since I have never used cnc software before I really can't say which might be better and hopefully you can find some good reviews of the software. Beware though some of those websites are scams my browser blocked one website as it wasn't programmed right. I wish you luck kolias.

Old 09-08-16, 01:31 AM
Apologies. I didn't see your mention of already considering and rejecting Linux. Will your software run on Windows 2000 Pro?

Old 09-08-16, 06:17 AM
D
kolias, what about the web site that I posted? What error messages did you get when you tried to install Linuxcnc?

Old 09-08-16, 08:30 AM
Ray2047 I rejected Linuxcnc because the configuration to run my cnc is a nightmare for me and I don’t want to run a cnc if I’m not sure 100% what is going on however I got Ubuntu I think ver16 to replace Windows 10 and that’s a beautiful system

Thanks hedgeclippers, before they had Linux + EMC2 to run a cnc machine but now they bundled up the 2 together and they call it Linuxcnc. It’s not bad but for the ones with no experience on Linux like my it is too dangerous to configure and operate however I still have it on my laptop (running on VMware) and I will play around with it and see. I know lots of people are using Linuxcnc to rum much more complicated machines and they are happy but it takes lots of experience and a good knowledge of Linux programming

Donoli2016 I have tried all “fixes” on the web about the XP activation and non-works. I did not get any error messages after I did what you said, only when I reboot it says again I need to activate and I say no and then the message in the notification area says I have 30 days left. There is a fix on the web which says after you do what they describe the activation is gone and if you click on the start menu to activate windows it says “Windows is activated”. That’s true but the fix they describe is only to change that window to read “Windows is activated” because after 30 days you will have no access to your PC unless you activate.

Old 09-08-16, 03:18 PM
D
My error msg question was for the Linuxcnc install not XP. It doesn't matter if you found something that you like.

Old 09-08-16, 03:46 PM
And just to confirm your software won't run on Windows 2000 Pro? You should be able to find a copy of Win 2K for next to nothing and no activation required. You may even be able to still down load the update packs.

Old 09-08-16, 05:38 PM
I did not have any error msg with Linuxcnc, just the GUI is very difficult to set and the .INI file which controls the GUI has a lot of terms I have no clue what they mean. With my XP I have a cnc software called Mach3 and although it took me some time to understand at least the GUI is very friendly

Sorry ray2947, Windows 2000 will work but I never searched for it because I was searching only for XP. I found XP for sale in Amazon but they are from sites I don’t know and I’m hesitant to download an OS from people I don’t know. I will now search for Windows 2000

Old 09-08-16, 06:32 PM
Try Ebay or a friend for a copy.

Old 09-08-16, 06:58 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I would start checking with friends to see if they have an old XP machine lying around not being used and have the license key.

I know I could provide you with a Vista key but I don't have anything as old as XP around any longer.

Old 09-08-16, 06:59 PM
I just found a Vista Home Premium DVD from a laptop I bought from Dell back in 2006-07. I install it and did not even asked me for a product number and there is no activation. Looks so far ok and I wonder why did not ask for a product number. I do have the product number because it’s the original DVD and has a sticker with that number plus a serial number

Old 09-08-16, 07:00 PM
D
Can you run your software on Mac? If you can't get XP to run again, I can't see going further back in history to win 2000.

Old 09-09-16, 01:41 AM
H
I just found a Vista Home Premium DVD from a laptop I bought from Dell back in 2006-07. I install it and did not even asked me for a product number and there is no activation. Looks so far ok and I wonder why did not ask for a product number.
What you have Kolias is a pre-activated copy of Windows Vista which technically speaking under Microsoft's terms is not to be used except for that particular laptop. But I doubt very seriously that Microsoft will take any action since the operating system is so old. However that doesn't mean you still can't have problems as I am sure there are drivers on that disk since it was made by Dell under license by Microsoft. Such drivers can sometimes cause havoc to a computer that is not made for those drivers. So expect sound cards etc. to not work right or at all.

You might get lucky though and have no problems at all depending on who made your computer as if it is a Dell desktop for instance then it may use some of those same drivers it just depends on how it was made. I do agree though Vista is a better choice even though it was a rather poorly written Operating System. At least it is better than nothing but don't expect support from Microsoft for Vista either you will be on your own. So I suggest not going on the internet with your computer and just using it for cnc operations.

Old 09-09-16, 06:14 AM
What you are saying hedgeclippers makes sense because the Vista DVD has written on it “Pre-Installed OS, not for re sale”.

It just happens and my desktop PC is a Dell OptiPlex 780 so perhaps that is why the Vista DVD worked and as for the drivers I have no need for any since the cnc PC is not connected to the Internet neither I need any sound card or support

The Mach3 software which runs the cnc works only with Windows OS