Router or switch?

Old 12-28-16, 12:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Router or switch?

I got a "Fire TV" unit for Christmas and I'm wondering how best to connect it to my little set-up.

Currently, I have cable and it comes into the house and goes directly into the modem and then the computer.

Everything already is, and I want to keep everything. hard-wired.(Ethernet-no wi-fi)

To add the "Fire TV" I was thinking of adding a switch/router after the cable modem and using that to branch off to the TV while connecting another cable to the computer but I was wondering which of the two (switch or router) I should use.

Sorry for the very basic question but all I know about about computers is that they easily confound me.

Old 12-28-16, 03:11 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
If the cable modem is not also a router, then get a router. If you are not going to use wireless it can be disabled, or just left alone. Make sure the router you get has 4 Ethernet ports on it.

You may want to call your cable company and see if they will supply you with an all in one cable modem/router. If you are renting it now, the cost may be insignificant to upgrade it.

Old 12-28-16, 05:39 AM
The modem is an Arris DG860A with 3 empty ports on the back.

Time Warner Cable installed it when I had a problem with the first modem a while ago.

Looking it up I see it is also a router but it has some negative reviews.

Mostly concerning wi-fi.

Since I am using Ethernet, should I just add a switch or am I OK, as is and just add a cable for the new branch?

Thank you for responding.

Old 12-28-16, 05:41 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I have always just used a used Ethernet switch bought for $6 or $7 off Ebay and never had a problem. No setup, no drivers (at least on Linux) just plug in and it works. If you use multiple devices at the same time that require high speed I can't say if collisions would be a problem. Just vaguely remember that is a drawback not details.

Old 12-28-16, 06:02 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Your Modem has a built-in 4 port switch and a wireless access point. If you want to run hard wire to your Fire TV just plug it into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the Modem. Most likely it will just work without further configuration.

Old 12-28-16, 07:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
The modem is an Arris DG860A with 3 empty ports on the back
As Paul said, run a cable from the TV into one of these three ports.

Old 12-28-16, 07:26 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Your Arris DG860A modem is actually labeled as a “Gateway Modem” which as stated above has a 4-port Router built within. So it’s not really just a modem- it’s a [Gateway = Modem + Router]. As Carbide Tipped says you should be able to plug into one of the Ethernet Ports on the back and be good to go.

Old 12-28-16, 09:07 AM
Thank you all, I'll do that.

Old 12-30-16, 07:22 PM
Update

It worked!

All I had to do was run some cables and make a few connections.

Completely plug and play.

It was very easy, I just needed someone to tell me what to do.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: