asus rt ac68u internet blocking

Old 02-24-17, 05:51 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
asus rt ac68u internet blocking

When I go to block internet on a ps4 via client list, block internet access, if they are already in an online game, it won't bump them off. It will work if they are streaming something but not if they are gaming. In order to make it take effect, I have to reboot router.

I've got the mac and ip address binding. Any fix for this?

Old 02-24-17, 06:16 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I don't know this router but is restarting not an option? It sounds like the router just blocks new requests. You can try manually closing the port that the device is using (most routers allow this).

Is this a roommate situation, a child, a neighbor, what? My experience with networks in general is that maintaining iron fisted control over traffic and usage is a lot more difficult than just walking over and talking to the offending user.

Old 02-24-17, 06:22 AM
A
Yeah, I've been restarting/rebooting router to have it take effect, and then it works. However, it bumps everyone else offline for a bit.

Old 02-24-17, 06:29 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Try the port closing. Or the conversation.

One more idea which I'm not sure will work is disabling wifi if it the PS4 is a wifi client. It will still kick everyone off but can be turned back on so quickly as not to be noticed unless someone is using VOIP or video conference. That might make the PS4 have to renegotiate the connection and get blocked or might not but worth a try.

Old 02-24-17, 06:43 AM
A
The wifi toggling worked! Thanks.

While I am here, are you familiar with other firmware? I would consider flashing this if I knew it was the right firmware for me. One feature specifically, is when I assign a name to a device, I want that name to appear next to it from the screen that I will be blocking internet access from, so that I don't have to memorize ip addresses by heart. This was one reason I bought the asus, as it's stock firmware does this, as my old netgear did not....

I used tomato years ago but I cannot remember if it did. I do remember it was great though.

Old 02-24-17, 10:52 AM
A
Just wanted to report that I found a fix. Disabled nat acceleration and all is working properly. I appreciate your help though and will use that method if I need to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: