Ethernet powerline adapter question

Old 02-26-17, 04:16 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ethernet powerline adapter question

I have an old pair of tii turbo85 powerlines. It's been years since I used them and pulled them out to help a relative with weak wifi. They are only passing through 8mb. I've swapped ethernet cords to make sure it wasn't a bad cord. I'm wondering if they are still compatible with newer modems and routers. This powerline looks like it was made in 07 and I can't even remember what the max speed I was getting on it years ago when I used it. They were used at my dads house on dsl and his isp topped out at around 5mb anyway. Here at my house, we get 70mb wired or wifi.

I plugged one ethernet end into my asus rt ac68u router. It's ok to go to router right, or must powerline feed right into modem?

Our modem is a cablevision modem is Arris tm822g.

I wonder if these powerlines aren't compatible, or could it be something with my home wiring. I live in a 60s nyc apartment and I know the wiring has a miswire somewhere, as they read hot neutral crossed at all the outlets.

What do you think?

Old 02-26-17, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Powerline Ethernet adapters need to be on the same "phase" (leg) of the electrical system, or even better, the same circuit. Having them on the same circuit is very unlikely as electrical circuits normally do not cover a large portion of a dwelling.

The powerline adapter should not be plugged into a surge protector. They should be connected to a router, not directly to a modem. The hot and neutral reversed should not cause any issues, but should be looked at by the building as it is a safety issue.

I see no reason the powerline adapters would not be compatible. However, I tend to use them as a last resort when Wifi is not an option. In my case I have some to access the internet to my remote garage. I am not using it for heavy usage like streaming, just casual browsing to find info on a project I am working on. Since it is an apartment I would recommend going Wifi (password protected) You will likely get better speeds then with a powerline adapter.

Old 02-26-17, 05:13 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Sounds like they are not on the same circuit.

Quick internet search says they're 85 megs max.
To get that, they need to be plugged into the same copper wire circuit.
They still work, but slower, if they're plugged into circuits that share the same "leg",
e.g. odd or even breakers on the panel.
They'll work even slower if they're plugged into circuits that are on the opposite "leg"
of the panel, e.g. one in an odd breaker, another in the even breaker.

I have a similar pair of powerline adapters, they're useful for relaying internet through a stone farmjhouse wall, or down to a basement work area that WiFi doesn't really reach.

Old 02-26-17, 05:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good to know! Thanks. Is there any harm in still using them on different circuits? Fire hazards or anything? Assuming it will provide enough bandwidth. 8mb may be enough for this application (streaming box).

Old 02-26-17, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Is there any harm in still using them on different circuits? Fire hazards or anything?
No. The safety issue with the reversed hot and neutral is there is a greater shock hazard with items such as lamps when changing a light bulb.

Old 02-26-17, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Those power line units work thru the hot side of the circuit because the neutral side is technically at ground potential. Having the hot and neutral backwards is dead shorting the signal. You won't hurt anything but the range and speed will be greatly reduced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: