Virus ? G mail password recovery ?

Old 03-11-17, 10:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Virus ? G mail password recovery ?

My wife forgot the password for her gmail account. I was unsuccessful at retrieving it so she ended up calling gmail. I don't know where she got the number. I'm convinced the guy on the other end was running a scam He talked her into/thru granting him remote access to my pc He then claimed my pc was ate up with bugs and was being used by hackers in germany. He proceeded to tell her that my pc, laptop both of our tablets, cellphones, TV and router were all infected but he could get us in contact with someone to clean them up for $600-$700. He also advised her that just replacing the devices wouldn't get rid of the threat. He then offered a $400-$500 repair using a senior discount.

When I realized what was going on I made her hang up and then I turned off the router and run Avast [which came up clean] and SuperAntiSpyware which showed more than normal but they were all adware/tracking cookies. I also removed the remote access program he put on my pc.

He did show her on my pc screen a long list of virus that had been installed, this list disappeared as soon as she hung up, shortly before I turned off the router.

Is it likely he installed a virus on my pc? if so, is there a good way to find and eliminate it?

Oh, she never did get her password, the 'tech' said because all our devices were infected he couldn't do it but they could once the threat was eliminated.

Old 03-11-17, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Did you go to Gmail and try to reset password? I set mine up where they will text me a code on my phone.
I have windows 10 and any time I have something like tha t. First shut it down, I then go to programs and look for anything installed that day. Click on date and will set up by date. Delete anything from that day.

Old 03-11-17, 11:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I tried that but the only phone number it would accept was our house number - which can't be texted.

Didn't see anything in programs with today's date,
thanks

Old 03-11-17, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
She definitely didn't get G mail. If you do a search for a G mail phone number you'll get many hits from everyone but G mail. These "technicians" are standing by to take your money.

I doubt Google has a phone number for tech help in retrieving a password.
They usually require an email.

support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter

Old 03-11-17, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Sorry it says installed on instead of date. Right click on windows icon in task bar and programs and features first.

Old 03-11-17, 12:01 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Is it likely he installed a virus on my pc? if so, is there a good way to find and eliminate it?
First thing I would try is to restore your computer back to an earlier date maybe 3 or 4 days ago with your router (internet) disconnected. Starting in safe mode wouldn't hurt either then go from there.

Old 03-11-17, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
So you didn't give them another email address for this purpose? That's the best thing to do when you get this settled, if it happens again.
They may not have and probably haven't given a virus. They probably just wanted her to think she had some so she would send them money to fix.

Old 03-11-17, 12:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Last night I tried getting her password using my email account but it came back with a message saying her account couldn't be verified. Can't believe she hasn't checked her email in a month or two

The biggest thing that worries me is the fact that they got her to give them remote access to my pc.
I tried system restore and while it ran for 15 minutes [?] it failed, I forgot the reason given So far my pc seems to be working the same as it always has.

Old 03-11-17, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
They usually perform their smoke and miracle routine. Then they offer you a plan to fix it. If you refuse their plan.... that's when the damage begins. You disconnected before that. You removed their access. You should be ok.

You didn't give Gmail your phone number but they should have asked personal questions requiring your response.

Old 03-11-17, 02:08 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gmail is the hardest account to reset. My brother in law went crazy trying to retrieve his. At the same time, he couldn't remember when he opened the account or any of the passwords that he had. I never trusted google from day 1 so I never opened an account with them.

Old 03-12-17, 06:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I would do the standard of running a Malwarebytes scan, and ensure any remote support software has been removed.

Most of these scams seem to be focused on getting your credit card number, not any long-term infection issues.

Old 03-12-17, 06:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
not any long-term infection issues.
That's good to know thanks

Old 03-30-17, 07:21 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Its really easy to recover your gmail account. I know its very frustrating when your files are being locked but there are few ways on how to recover your password like entering a phone number or your email address. In terms of phone number verification, they will send you a code through text then you will just type in the code in order to process the verification. On the other hand, if you want to enter your email address, then they will send you a link and in that way, you can now change your password.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: