Roller coaster factory 1 and 2 not working correctly in WIN XP Home

Old 08-19-17, 01:59 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roller coaster factory 1 and 2 not working correctly in WIN XP Home

Computer is a Emachines W3502 Running WIN XP Home SP3 with Unofficial SP4 installed.

2GB ram
250GB Maxter HDD
Intel celeron D processer 352 3.20 Ghz 533 Mhz FSB 512MB L2 cache
EVGA Nividia GeForce 8400GS Graphics card with 512MB DDR3 Ram

When running Roller coaster factory 1 If I have 3D graphics turned on this is the result

With 3d Graphics turned off it works fine although a bit jerky.

In Rollercoaster factory 2 The graphics look like the 35mm Film Negative from a picture camera. I updated the Nividia drivers I installed direct x 9.0 I even tried setting the windows graphics to 16bit color and the lowest resolution. Nothing worked. Here's the screen shot of the RCF 2. Would the fact that .NET 4.0 would not install from the graphics card be a issue? I did not run these games before I put the new Graphics card in.

I also have Microsoft Train Simulator installed and it works no problems so why won't these games work. I should note that when Installing RCF2 it takes like 5 minutes before I get the install screen. During that time The computer locks up. When I go to exit RCF2 I get the error message "it has encounter a problem and needs to close".

Old 08-19-17, 03:39 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not a gamer. One site said that some patches might work.

Problems with Rollercoaster Tycoon | Roller Coaster Games Forum

Another site said that XP service pack 2 conflicted with it.

Old 08-20-17, 10:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Bottom of the line computer running an OS that came out 16 years ago. Going to leave it at that.

Old 08-21-17, 11:04 AM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
The computer is old, but it's also a game that came out 17 years ago. Looking at the specs on RCF1, it says Win95 or greater, 32MB of RAM and a 200 MHz processor. So it definitely looks like the computer is adequate for the game.

Any time something fails to install, it could potentially cause problems. I'm not familiar with how .NET would interact with the game, but it might be worth going to the MS website and trying to download it directly?

How old is the video card? Do you have another one you can swap in to test?

Old 08-21-17, 07:09 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The aftermarket card is brand new off of Amazon. It says its made for xp though it failed the logo test. I removed the graphics card and ran the game off of the onboard graphics card and it worked correctly though sound is choppy. It's a BOL computer but its for running games that won't run in 7 or 10. It's not my main rig. I would like to get it working with the graphics card as I use a DVI switcher to switch between the 2 computers. The card is supposed to have direct x 10 support and RCF1 uses 5 or above and RCF2 uses 8 or newer though I installed 9.1.

Old 08-22-17, 08:57 AM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Yup, I completely understand what you're doing with the older rig. The GeForce 8400GS was released in 2009, and I'm wondering if that could still be "too advanced" for RCF to run on properly. I can only speak from personal experience with a lot of games becoming unplayable because of the advances in technology. My guess is that it's the hardware acceleration (3d graphics) that it's unhappy with.

Unfortunately, I never really had much success in making old games work well. You could try some sort of emulator (DOXbox for example, if they were DOS-based), but that usually only worked for me if it was a CPU speed issue causing the problems.

I run AMD graphics, and they have a software suite that lets you tweak settings. It's primarily used for overclocking, but I suppose it could be used to underclock the card too. Does nVidia have a similar feature, so you could maybe dial back your GPU settings?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: