Cookies, or something similar...

Old 01-31-18, 03:59 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cookies, or something similar...

Somebody please explain to this low-tech individual: I don't do Facebook - 'don't even have an account. I was looking at rug shampooers on eBay at work, on my work laptop. That evening my wife, on her cell phone, was doing her Facebook thing and kept getting ads for rug shampooers. Yes, my laptop goes home with me every night,
and my wife has used it. But, how can this connection be made, and more importantly, how do I stop it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-18, 04:17 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
When you search using a browser like Google or yahoo etc, the track your activity. In this case, they know you are currently interested in rug shampoo's, so they give you ads for products which they know your currently interested in. Its tracking. Some tracking can be stopped. But in all honesty, you'll never stop it. They benefit from it, so they (browsers) will never allow all tracking to stop.

Old 01-31-18, 06:09 AM
Z
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Yep- thatís called cross-device tracking today. They save a lot of information and run these fancy algorithms and come up with a probability that itís the same user on the different devices. Really seems creepy. Iím no expert for sure and donít know that much about it, but I think Dixie is probably correct Ė we are stuck with this.

Old 01-31-18, 06:23 AM
E
Ok. (And... dammit!) What if I use a browser like Firefox that probably isn't familiar with Mrs. McDaniel's iPhone?

Old 01-31-18, 06:35 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
Once a browser is used to search something, any user who uses that browser associated with that account, will see ads.
If you change browsers, for example from Google to IE, users wont see what was searched on the Google account. However, any user using the IE account will see ads from any user that has searched things on IE.

Just FYI, I think Google & Fire Fox are in cahoots, so they may have the same browsing policy & could be sharing your info & search history between each other. I dont know that for sure, I am just saying its a possibility since you asked in general about FF.

Old 01-31-18, 06:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
If I look at anything on Amazon I can be sure to get adds for it on any device I use for the next month.

Old 01-31-18, 06:57 AM
Z
Might make some difference but I think what they figured out is that there have been some things done on the laptop (like looking at certain websites, ads, email, etc.) that look like some of the same things done on the phone, so they figure thereís a good chance itís the same user.

Old 01-31-18, 07:09 AM
E
I understand the marketing advantages behind this strategy. ( I don't agree with it - they're basically saying "people are stupid. bombard them with ads until they submit"). However, they apparently don't care if I'm looking for a birthday present for my wife (not a rug shampooer...) and I'd like to keep it a surprise.

Old 01-31-18, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
Run SuperAntiSpyware everyday or when needed. They'll find and remove all tracking cookies.

Old 01-31-18, 07:42 AM
Z
Elias I am shocked at your attitude!! They are doing all of that to make our lives better. If you donít believe that Ė just go ask them, lol.

I think Shadeladieís idea is helpful but from what I understand itís worse than that. They can do a lot of the tracking without cookies, but cookies do help them. I remove mine all of the time.

Old 01-31-18, 09:54 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 105 Posts
You can certainly limit tracking by deleting cookies, using incognito browser windows, and disabling tracking in your browser. But they'll still track you down as soon as you log into any account. They will be immediately able to link your account with your prior history, and bam - rug shampooers everywhere.

Where it gets worse, are cell phone companies are tied in as well - they can further identify you and your browsing behaviour, and link your accounts to you as a person - not just an online user account.

I wouldn't hate it so much if they actually provided useful ads. A while back I was shopping for a generator. Picked one out and bought it online. For the next 2 months, they were STILL selling me generators. How many do they think I need!?

Unfortunately, it's the world we live in now. At least the EU is implementing policies to make things more transparent and institute rules around privacy and your personal data (See GDRP). Here - not so much.
Ah well,

Old 01-31-18, 04:10 PM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
how can this connection be made,
Think of it like this.
Typing in a website name is like calling a telephone number.
The websites you "call" on the internet have "caller id", and they remember which internet number you called from..
When you connect to a website at work, they get a name and work-internet number.
When you connect to a website at home, they get a name and home-internet number.
E-Bay matched your work-number to home-number, based on you name.

and more importantly, how do I stop it?
Eh, disable cookies, enable "do not track" and install an "internet number" randomizer like Tor Browser.

[/COLOR][/FONT]