Changed to FIOS -- need help for MOCA please

Old 07-25-18, 04:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changed to FIOS -- need help for MOCA please

Hi everyone,

Previously for 3 years I had Optimum Online. I kept the cable modem and router in the basement. In my garage, a single hot coax came in, and it was split to provide coax to multiple rooms in the house, including the basement. In my basement, I split the coax coming in, and connected one to an Actiontec MOCA adapter, which passed thru to the cable modem. The other coax split went to my HDHomerun. I keep all of my server equipment in the basement.

Today, I got a gigabit line from FIOS. I cannot figure out how to use MOCA with the FIOS setup. Please see the two pics attached. I moved the router from the basement to the garage and the FIOS tech connected the ONT ethernet to the router. The wireless works well, but I want MOCA to connected the server equipment.

He removed the multiple splitters I had and consolidated to a single splitter (See picture). The splitter has the coax from the ONT going into it. First question: Can the ONT ethernet AND coax be active at the same time?

Where do I put my MOCA adapter to bring internet to the basement? I tried putting the MOCA between the ONT coax and the splitter, but the MOCA coax light does not illuminate.

Additionally, if I am finally able to bring Internet to the basement, will my HDHomerun coax input be affected (does that require a non-MOCA input?)

Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Images   
Old 07-26-18, 09:05 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Are you saying you only had one MOCA adapter in your original configuration – and it was connected to the modem in the basement? That doesn’t sound right – but I’ve never really used those adapters.

Old 07-28-18, 05:47 AM
Z
I found the diagram below. I think you are going to have to combine the coax from your MoCa adapter, with the coax coming out of the ONT, and feed that into a 1x2 splitter that itself connects into the new splitter that provides coax to the house.

In this diagram you can see how the Actiontec router has a LAN coax connection built in, so a MoCa adapter isn’t needed, MoCa is built into that Actiontec router. The coax out of the ONT is combined with the coax from the Actiontec router in the 1x2 splitter you see in the picture – and that splitter connects to the bigger splitter for the house.

So in other words, in your case I think you would have your router in the garage connected to the ONT via ethernet (as it is now) and also connected to the MoCa adapter. Then the MoCa adapter would be connected to a 1 x 2 splitter along with the coax from the ONT, and that combined signal would feed the new splitter the Verizon guy installed. Internet on the coax cable doesn’t interfere with the other signaling on the cable.

At least I think that’s the right way – lol. Easy to try!

But it seems to me you are going to need another MoCa adapter in your basement to grab the LAN signal from the coax. You really didn’t say how that MoCa adapter was being used in your basement, and why you only had one in your house.

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-18, 06:31 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I've had fios for several years, and have expanded the setup, here's wha t I think you should try-

Connect your moca devices TO that MOCA to the 8-way splitter and the router should assign it an IP address, same ought to work for the HD homerun.

There should be a fiber optic line from the pole to an outside box, then a wide area network WAN line coming into the router. I think the WAN connection TO the rounter can be just Coax but it usually seems to be both coax AND gigabit.

The router gets 192.168.1.1 and assigns IP addresses sequentially for all equipment, except the set top boxes, which get addresses starting at one hundred, e.g. 192.168.1.100 and so on.

If the tech just disconnected the old moca connection, then you should be able to just connect it to the 8-way splitter and see if it works.

You might have to reset the DHCP server IP address for MOCA and HDHomerun though.

Last edited by Hal_S; 07-28-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-28-18, 12:08 PM
Z
So you are saying there was no need to move the router from the basement to the garage and connect it to the ONT via ethernet cable. It could stay in the basement and connect to the MoCa as it was before Verizon.

Old 07-28-18, 02:51 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
So you are saying there was no need to move the router from the basement to the garage and connect it to the ONT via ethernet cable. It could stay in the basement and connect to the MoCa as it was before Verizon.
Nope. Probably needed to upgraded to MOCA grade coax for the main signal in, older coax MIGHT be sufficient bandwith for a single set-top box, but won't work for a main trunk.

Putting the router in the basement is a way to sell WiFi extenders,. Routers broadcast downward, unless you mount it upside down on the basement ceiling, you won't get a signal on the 1st or 2nd floor.
VZ will "fix" that by suggesting a range extender.

I made a point of keeping my prior two routers (don't tell them) to repurpose them as as range extenders. I have an Fios red router with MOCA ver 1.1 that supports 100 Megs ethernet but 175 Megs moca, so I run that as MOCA.. I have an Fios black router that supports 500 megs Moca but gigabit ethernet, so I run that with gigabit ethernet. Both required a fair bit of reprograming, but work well after the conversion from router to extender.

You can try to reuse the old coax, but older SD tv coax cables don't have the bandwidth to work with trunk lines used for MOCA, to

Last edited by Hal_S; 07-28-18 at 03:07 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: