Can't get USB ports to work

Old 06-28-19, 07:40 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't get USB ports to work

Hi folks,

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I throw this computer out the window :-) I have an old Dell computer tower that runs Win XP (picture of the back of the computer attached). None of the USB ports are working.

The reason I'm saving this computer is because we have a kid toy that plugs into a USB port called the Digital Music Maker and you can play around with music, like a DJ. The toy only runs on Win98, though.

So, I wiped the computer clean and installed Win98. I was able to get it up and running and on the internet and everything, but still no luck with the USB ports. I checked the BIOS to make sure they were enabled. I also went into the Device Manager and they seem to be ok there too (no errors). I also have a powered USB hub that I tried, and no luck there either.

As you can see in the picture, I'm using the PS/2 ports for the keyboard and mouse. What's funny is I have a PS/2 to USB adapter for the mouse, and that's working with a USB mouse. But the toy doesn't work in that adapter.

Am I missing something obvious or is it just possible that all USBs on this PC are shot?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-19, 08:10 AM
H
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
Wow, old Compaq/Dell, does it have the "Star Trek Q" introduction?

USB ports aren't supported until "Windows 98 SE"

USB ports under Windows-98 SE still need OEM device drivers.
They hadn't invented "plug and play" yet, and USB devices are not recognized automatically like they are under newer operating systems.

You MIGHT try loading "Digital Music Maker" onto a newer computer in "Windows 98 compatibility mode", and THEN plug the USB cord into the newer computer.

Old 06-29-19, 04:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you said, ”USB ports under Windows-98 SE still need OEM device drivers.”, is that the case even for simple things like a mouse and keyboard? I can’t even get those to work.

When you said, You MIGHT try loading "Digital Music Maker" onto a newer computer in "Windows 98 compatibility mode", can you explain what you mean? Do you mean use a newer computer that has a newer operating system? What is compatibility mode?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-30-19, 09:25 AM
H
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
Eh, generally,

Windows 98 didn't recognize USB ports at all.
Windows 98 SE included basic support for USB ports, but the manufacturers generally included specific device driver software. IIRC, that also applies to basic things like mouse, keyboard and USB thumb drives.

Most newer operating systems Win-7, Win-8, Win-10) have a "compatibility mode" setting which allows newer versions of Windows to emulate Windows-XP so that old programs can run on the new system. Most-of-the-time, programs that worked under Win-95, Win-98 also work under XP.

https://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-...ting-software/