t-mobile hotspot free trial

Old 08-30-19, 10:23 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
t-mobile hotspot free trial

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial I signed up for this and was wondering how to use it with my current us cellular phone for data. If anyone knows a site that explains how hot spots work I would appreciate an url. thanks

frank

Old 08-30-19, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Which phone do you have (IPhone, etc.) I can explain if you have an IPhone.

Old 08-30-19, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There is a video right on the signup page.

You should have received a cellular data transceiver..... basically a cell phone from them.
You put the SIM card in it, put the battery in and charge it.

Turn it on. Go to the wifi settings in your phone and find that device. There is a password on the data transceiver that allows your phone to connect to it. You're connecting to that device just like you would connect to a wifi signal in a house.

I would not consider this "free demo" completely secure. In other words..... be careful what information you send while using it. I wouldn't use it for banking. Since this is a free demo they will be monitoring your usage but that doesn't mean they are looking at your data..... but they could be.

Old 08-31-19, 04:12 AM
F
I didn't see that on the front page. I should pay more attention, sorry for the bother.

frank

Old 08-31-19, 05:25 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Go to any coffee shop or similar place and that's a WiFi hot spot. You are making yourself one of these! Not a good idea. You leave yourself wide open for data harvesting and scamming.

Old 08-31-19, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That's a little different Norm. The wireless routers in those places are not usually secure.

With this test device..... the communications is secure but since it's a test unit..... they could be watching the traffic and usage. As long as you're mindful of that.... test away.

Old 08-31-19, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Norm, with this hotspot WIFI, you're not using the coffee shop's (or whomever) WIFI, you're using a paid companies WIFI. I have Xfinity (Comcast) and get free hotspot WIFI with them, so it is secure since it's private and not public.

Old 08-31-19, 05:48 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
OK, I guess I was mistaken. I have hot spot WiFi on my car but never used it.

Old 09-01-19, 07:07 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
You're both right.

"Hotspot" now has two different meanings-

It used to be synonymous to "tethering" using a cellphone data plan to provide internet access, either through a phone or through a dedicated cellular-to-WiFi device. A few years ago, FCC ruled that tethering was legal and couldn't be subjected to more charges (i.e. if you bought 5 Gigs per month of data service, it doesn't matter whether you use the data on your phone, tablet or computer...

Now", Hotspot" also means a place where a business provides WiFi access. In most cases it's a small business, but Verizon or Comcast have "hot spot plans" in certain cities where you can access WiFi at specific cooperating locations.

Old 09-01-19, 07:59 AM
F
I was wondering about using the sim card from the hot spot on a cell phone for unlimited service for the 30 day trial. would that be legal according to what hal_s is saying? I am more interested in the phone and data service than a hot spot.

Old 09-01-19, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Well if you mean putting the sim card they send into your phone, no, doesn't work that way. You're just pairing your phone with the device they send you, into which that sim card gets installed. Then you can pick one of the networks that show up on your phone to join. Looks like it's only so much data or 30 days, whichever comes first.

Old 09-01-19, 08:27 AM
F
so when I pair with the hotspot at home I will be using their data and service wherever I go?

Old 09-01-19, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, looks like. You'll be connected to their service during the trial using your phone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: