Router information

Old 05-25-23, 01:09 PM
Received 694 Upvotes on 617 Posts
Router information

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice and guidance concerning the purchase of a new router. My existing router is a Linksys Router Mod EA6100 from 2015 and seems to be failing. I知 not getting good connections and a lot of drops. My ISP technicians (Spectrum) claims a newer and better router will solve most of my problems.

My budget is under $100. One of the conditions I need is the ability to connect up to 8 to 10 appliances either wirelessly or via Ethernet cable. I知 looking at several units.

My son recommends the tp-link AC1750 Mesh dual band. It can handle up to 8 Ethernet connections.
However, others have suggested I look at tri-band routers. They tend to be expensive, but I found some to be under the $100 range.

My questions are, what is mesh, and is an under $100 tri-band as good as or better than a $50 to $80 dual band?

My current set up is in the basement and that is where I will most likely install the replacement router. From there I have an Ethernet cable going to my 2nd floor to a hub. From there I connect my main desktop computer and three 3 D printers via cable (none are wireless).

On the wireless side I have 3 main wireless cameras and several others (all of various makes and models), which total to seven along with several smart lights and switches, and two My-Q garage door controllers. And occasionally several other wireless appliances including two TVs, and my wireless ink jet printer.

About two years ago I put in an extender to help get a good signal to the front outside cam. It worked fine, but as of late that signal drops out or never connects depending on the time of day.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-31-23, 06:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I have a toik ax1500 router and have many devices wired to it through unmanaged switches. Some with power over Ethernet for my cameras. Wired is always better than wireless for connectivity I am not sure if the appeal of triband since many devices still connect at 2.4.or 5ghz. mesh is when you have a main router with.extenders to place around to expand your wireless signal. You can sometimes add them to your router. I had one for my TP-Link but sold it when I wired more connections. For outside you may need outdoor extenders to boost the signal especially if you have stucco. I had 3 for my ring cameras but dumped ring for a system with poe cameras.

Old 06-01-23, 09:45 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 17 Upvotes on 16 Posts
Norm, if you are still interested in this, maybe I can help a little. I want to avoid recommending a product since everyone has a preference for what works for them and what doesn't. Follow the online reviews with appropriate caution.

Some background first. In a typical situation where you need wireless access beyond where the signal is adequate, you would setup an wireless extender or access point. The access point would usually be connected over ethernet cable to the router and act a a new connection point for your devices. An extended would usually act as a wireless device itself. It sits at the outer edge but still inside of your existing wireless router range. The extender listens to your router's signal and sends out the same signal at a boosted strength. The downside of the extender is that it requires a good wireless signal from your router and the bandwidth it provides is diminished due to the overhead of managing it's own connection to the router.

A third option is to setup multiple routers across your house. As you move from room to room, your mobile device will connect ot the strongest signal. While this sounds good, it can be challenging if each router has a unique name (network name or SSID) since sharing files or video streams across disparate networks will be difficult. There are ways around it but I don't recommend this method.

You asked what mesh means. When using a mesh system, there is a separate wireless signal (or hard wired if you choose) between the router nodes. That is, you still have a main router but you can also have 1 or more additional nodes (think extenders) to share and broadcast strong signals. They too must be close enough to the main router to have a wireless connection but the "mesh" aspect allows them to take their overhead off of the main network and talk privately between themselves. That allows you to move freely from room to room and always connect to the strongest signal (node) while remaining on the same network (SSID) and accessing all of your network resources and files. By taking the overhead off of the regular wireless network, you get full wireless bandwidth regardless of which node you connect to.

As for dual band or tri-band, you will have more throughput (if you need it) with Tri band as it provides 3 networks (one at 2.4ghz and two separate ones at 5ghz). A dual band one has one of the 5ghz networks. Your decision will probably be more more about saturating your ISP connection than overloading the wireless network but more networks to use will give you flexibility. you could setup your cameras on a separate network from your mobile devices or maybe your gaming PC separate from your media player.

If your current router is 8 years old as you suggest, a new model would probably be more reliable and better for you. Something else to consider is that since you have sound like you have wired ethernet between your basement and the first floor, maybe consider moving your main router to the first floor. A centrally located wireless router will usually be better than starting in a difficult area like the basement and then extending from there.

good luck and ask if you need more ideas or help.

- Peter

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 06-12-23, 05:22 AM
Received 694 Upvotes on 617 Posts
Thanks Gary,
The router works well, but I have other problems. My main desktop is bricked, and my back-up is on its last legs also. My biggest problem is that I can no longer install my printer wirelessly. I think it has something to do with the router install but I haven't had time to look into it. I haven't re-installed any of my peripherals such as cams or 3D printers. I think I'm going start from scratch. Besides I'm thinking of dropping my current ISP and going elsewhere. Also, your point about putting the router in a central place is a good idea. Right now, it's in the basement and always worked well until recently. I'll have to reconsider where to put it in a more cental location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: