older external speakers, older computer

Old 01-30-24, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question older external speakers, older computer

I've been troubleshooting why I don't have sound on my Lenovo older computer. I've tried to update drivers etc. & I have older Creative external speakers. It's just a jack (light green) & an adapter that I plug into the electric. What I've noticed when I've been trying to trouble shoot is: if I slowly unplug the adapter or the electric plug, I will actually hear the sound for 2 secs. This is mindboggling! I used to have sound on this & just can't seem to fig. this 1 out. Anyone know? Thxs

Old 01-30-24, 09:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
My first guess is a bad plug or socket. I'd first try a different set of speakers and see if they work.

trose348 voted this post useful.
Old 01-30-24, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Are you troubleshooting the computer or the speakers ?
If you unplug the speakers.... the computer should have audio.
If you don't have audio directly at the computer... the ext speakers won't work either.

Polydorus voted this post useful.
Old 01-30-24, 02:27 PM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Check the speakers to see if any of them have a volume knob. If so, turn the knob to see if that helps.

Old 01-30-24, 06:02 PM
volume is turned up, I get sound if I slowly unplug the adapter for about 2 secs. I am not getting sound on the computer either. I plugged in the speakers because I don't have sound. I had sound 2 mons. ago. I bought a new computer that is having issues & am having to use the old computer until things are worked out with my new computer. No sound anywhere. I just thought it was interesting when I slowly unplugged the adapter, I'd get about 2 secs of sound........whatever music I am playing.....2 secs. It's a conundrum.

Old 01-31-24, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 407 Upvotes on 334 Posts
Have you checked your sound settings? There's probably something wrong in there if you're not getting sound from your computer either.

Old 02-02-24, 11:03 AM
Update! I moved my old computer back while the new 1 is in the repair shop. After I did this & plugged in the speakers to a dif. socket, they are working just like before. Go figure!

Old 02-02-24, 01:35 PM
Z
Received 135 Upvotes on 126 Posts
If you were using front-panel audio, that should be connected to your motherboard via a cable. That cable connection can possibly come loose at the motherboard (I've accidentally and unknowingly disconnected mine with fat-fingers while doing some work inside the box).

But if you switched to rear panel audio that would be unaffected and should work. Maybe yours was hanging by a thread at the motherboard connection for some reason - and one day - one more little vibration and the connection is broken.

Can't hurt to open the box and look anyway. Just a thought.

Old 02-03-24, 01:54 AM
J
Received 51 Upvotes on 47 Posts
Problem could be combo jack compatibility. Take a look at a 3.5mm splitter jack and see if it sounds like a potential solution.

Old 02-03-24, 10:09 AM
Z
Received 135 Upvotes on 126 Posts
That's right. My bad. The front panel audio is usually headphone, microphone or a combo. Not for speakers. When the OP said he used two different connectors to try the speakers, I jumped to the conclusion: front panel, rear panel. But that doesn't make sense.

Still, I would open the box and inspect -if that's possible. Might not be easy with the off-the-shelf Lenovo though. Would not want to create a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: