Home Network Invasion: Removing an unwanted device from my Xfinity network

Old 03-03-24, 07:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Home Network Invasion: Removing an unwanted device from my Xfinity network

I recently installed a new Liftmaster garage door opener but did NOT set up the myQ feature that allows users to control the door opener with your smart phone (so I've been using only the keypad device that comes with the opener). I have Xfinity for my TV and internet service and when I opened its Gateway admin tool yesterday to check out the system, I found someone had somehow connected a Samsung smartphone to the system. Since the myQ feature for remotely controlling the garage door opener will only work with Apple and Android (Samsung) phones, I'm pretty sure that that phone has been used to gain access to my garage during the night and other times when I'm not able to see what's going on.
Naturally, I want to remove the Android phone but the problem is that the admin tool doesn't show any means of doing that. No "off" buttons or any other means of disconnecting the thing. Xfinity has been no help at all here. Their "chat with an assistant" feature doesn't connect you with any actual person but just an automated fill in the boxes set up that never seems to understand the problem and just spits out stupid questions and useless suggestions. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how I can remove the thing? I'd really appreciate any useful suggestions.

Old 03-04-24, 03:11 AM
T
Received 210 Upvotes on 184 Posts
A web search found this.

Old 03-04-24, 04:56 AM
J
Received 521 Upvotes on 426 Posts
Change the wifi password.

Old 03-04-24, 10:44 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
Change the wifi password
Agreed, this should be done immediately. This will kick all your devices off the router. Then update each with the new password. Choose a secure, new password. Don't just add a 10! to the end.

Even if you can block a specific address or device from your network, it's reasonably easy to change the device's MAC address, so you'll want to reset the password regardless.

Old 03-04-24, 11:21 AM
Z
Received 135 Upvotes on 126 Posts
This is really strange - I seem to always type something and then see a new post. Didn't read Zorfdt's yet but:

Xfinity runs you around in circles trying to find a user manual for their Gateways, but when logged into the Gateway, and viewing the list of "Attached Devices", there should be a reference to "Access Control", or something like that, to allow you to block access to your network for any given device.

Probably there is at least an "Access Control" menu option somewhere, even if it isn't accessible when viewing "Attached Devices".

Yea -just read it. I think the blocking runs off the mac address, so in fact it's not foolproof.

and one more thing (lol):

Is it possible you let someone with a smart phone connect to your network in the past and forgot? The reason I ask is because recently I saw that my W-Fi had connected to a Toshiba Laptop. I said "No Way, that's nuts. Nothing ever connected here except my stuff". Then one day it finally came to me. I had let the alarm system guy connect up his laptop to my W-Fi one afternoon for about 15 minutes. Totally forgot. Of course, most people aren't as forgetful as me lol. So - just a thought!

Last edited by zoesdad; 03-04-24 at 01:51 PM. Reason: "and one more thing:
Old 03-04-24, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
Even if someone had access or was logged into your router.... MyQ has to be set up from your end.
Did you install the operator personally or did you have it installed ?

When I work on or help a customer with an opener.... I put my phone on their network and use my version of MyQ. Typically after that I delete the account but still have access to their Wifi network.

Old 03-04-24, 08:23 PM
P
What Xfinity calls resolving the issue

Hi, I'm Bob (MasonStone), and using Peter's sign in to respond here to post on this thread I started. When I found out about this device, I immediately changed my WiFi password and disabled both WiFi frequencies (so this phone cannot communicate with my door opener. Have been using Ethernet connection since then. Unable to find something online that would let me remove the device, I ended up calling Xfinity and got connected via messaging to one of their tech agents from somewhere in southeast Asia. Although I asked them to remove the device (or tell me how to do it), their solution was to disable my public hotspot and issue me a reference ticket number for the issue. This seems like a really lame ways to address the issue but, after repeatedly asking the agent why she couldn't just remove it, I had to settle for this solution.
If there is anything on the admin tool that will allow you to remove connected devices, I haven't found it and don't think it exists, which seems pretty stupid to me.
Zoesdad & Pjmax, I never allowed anyone to connect their smartphone to my system and con only assume they gained access through my old (retired) Mac Book Pro.
Zorftd, when I changed my WiFi password it didn't kick my devices off the network but I had already changed the password to the other connected devices.

Old 03-05-24, 05:23 AM
J
Received 521 Upvotes on 426 Posts
Does the router have a restore to factory defaults option? I would think that would clear all devices.

Old 03-05-24, 10:18 AM
Z
This video is for changing the password and SSID, but at the 1:05 mark you can see "Connected Devices" . There does not appear to be anything on that menu or anywhere on the screen (as you say) that would allow you to remove or disallow a device.

Have you tried that "Advanced" selection? Probably not there anyway. It seems like you can just look at the devices and that's it. Seems like a deficiency to me also. I think most routers have some kind of access control. My NETGEAR does. I think TP-Link does also. I thought that was a standard feature.

Hard to figure out where Xfinity is coming from with that. Maybe there is a point to it. But it's beyond my pay grade.

Xfinity Router Login Using 10.0.0.1 IP Address - YouTube

Old 03-07-24, 12:58 PM
P
Home Network Invasion: Juat got a lot worse

Hi,
This is Mason Stone who posted the thread on someone getting into my home network and connecting a Samsung phone in order to be able to control my garage door opener. I have an Evisalink module attached to my home alarm network in order to receive alerts and notifications about break-ins and other alerts on my smartphone and laptop. I have an Avast anti virus account and I just did a network scan and found out that my Envisalink password had been compromised and the perpetrator now has free access to control over that. I've had a similar problem with the Envisalink account before where I was unable to receive alert notifications. I suspect it's the same individual that connected the phone to my system.
What do I have to do to my Xfinity network to insure that it is inaccessible to this sort of invasion? Xfinity support has been nonexistent with the phone problem and I dont expect them to step up here. Are there any how-to articles on line that can walk me through securing the network?

Mod note: Threads combined. May be slightly out of order.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-07-24 at 04:28 PM. Reason: threads combined
Old 03-07-24, 01:09 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
As mentioned in the previous post, changing your wi-fi password is the most important. Second would be to make sure you have your router secured with a good password. Change the router password even if it is not the default. On the router, there should be a way to view the wireless (wi-fi) connections. Each one will have a MAC address. you should be able to selectively block any MAC address. google search how to do that for your router. If the rogue device is not connected at that moment, you won't see the MAC address listed.

If you need help with configuring the router or changing password, please provide the model of your router so we can help.

- Peter

Old 03-07-24, 03:21 PM
P
Hi, Peter.
As I've already said, I've changed the WiFi password. I changed the router password a day ago but just changed it again at your suggestion. I am able to view the connected devices and each one bears a Mac address but it requires me to copy the Modem Access Code on the sticker on the side of my router and there are at least 6 or 8 numbers listed there and none of them is called a modem access code. Any suggestions there?

The router is a Technicolor model CGM4331COM

Old 03-07-24, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Are you entering your router using 192.168.1(dot)1 ?
That requires an admin password.
The admin password is required to change the wifi password.

Once in the admin...., you can view connected devices.
The MAC addresses listed are for connected devices..... not for anything printed on the router.

Most connected devices are named..... Joe's iPhone, Bob's laptop, etc.
If not a personal name then at least the type of device.
You should be able to ID each connection by type.

If there is a connection you don't recognize.... delete it.
The worst thing that can happen is the device will stop working and will need to be re-learned.
Try not to delete the door operator or the alarm as they can be a nuisance to relearn.

You may see the Xfiniti set top boxes listed as connected by mac or ID only.

It's not always easy being able to ID a connected device.
When I connect a Bosch security system... the connected device is labeled by the IP module.
Typically B14526 or B450 or B455, etc..... not by the mac address.

You can get the MyInfinit app for free. In there you can make all these changes as well as setup devices for user control. That means you could shut off a connected device without deleting it.
This app will require your Xfiniti email address.

Old 03-07-24, 04:22 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
MAC stands for Media Access Control, not Modem Access Code.

Old 03-07-24, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
@ Zd.... if you look down the list on the left you will see CONNECTED devices.
When that is opened you see details and there is a way there to delete.
Xfiniti connected devices
web access Xfinit connected devices

Old 03-07-24, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Just re-reading.....

You will need to log into your Envisalink account and change that password if that is a web based service.

When you change your WiFi password.... every wireless device should stop working.
You will need to re-enter the new password in every device.

Changing the admin password will not affect wireless connections.

Old 03-07-24, 06:52 PM
P
Pjmax,
The problem is that the admin tool provides no means of deleting connected devices. The Samsung phone was identified by my Avast anti virus program otherwise all I would have had to go on would be the Mac address and other numbers in the connected devices box. Can I get the Xfinity app for my laptop or is it only available to mobile devices?

Old 03-08-24, 10:30 AM
Z
So, we are saying then that there are 2 ways of managing the gateway: (1) logging in to the gateway directly 10.0.0.1 and using the Admin Menu or (2)using the Xfinity App?

But it looks like the Xfinity App offers many management functions that aren't offered on the Admin Menu when you log into the gateway. For example: "Forget Device" (following link) is offered by the Xfinity App, but not on the Admin Menus on the gateway.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...e-hnetwork-xfi

Getting started with Xfinity xFi - Xfinity Support

But the App is free to customers. (I have Xfinity but I bought my own modem and separate router). Maybe the Xfinity App has all the features you would want. I would give it a try - it's free lol!

It seems a little confusing though. Look at the "Note" in the quote below. Some functions are done 2 ways, some one way - depending on your gateway type. (the numbering should be 1 and 2 not 1 and 1 - but I give up, I surrender)

Set up parental controls for the internet - Xfinity Support

Depending on the type of Wireless Gateway you rent from Comcast, you can access Parental Control settings in one of two ways:
  1. Through the Xfinity app, from anywhere with an internet connection. xFi is available for Xfinity Internet customers with a compatible xFi Gateway See our Xfinity app overview for more.
  1. Through the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool website at http://10.0.0.1 using a computer or device that is currently connected to your home network (either wired or wirelessly).
    • Note: The Admin Tool website is only available if you have an Xfinity Gateway that isn’t an xFi Gateway. See Overview of Xfinity Gateways for more details about our available Gateway models.

Old 03-08-24, 02:45 PM
Z
I didn't notice that in post 11 you identified your gateway as CGM4331COM. If you look at the table at the bottom of the page at the link below, you will see that the CGM4331COM is in fact the XB7 gateway, and if you look down the column for the XB7, you will see that it is Xfinity xFi eligible. So, in other words, the Xfinity App (i.e., xFi) will in fact work with your Gateway.

btw - Unfortunately over the years the term Gateway has been corrupted. There are modems, and routers, and Gateways. A Gateway is a modem-router combined together. But you will find people referring to a specific Gateway model as - a "router", or as a "modem", when in fact it is both a router and a modem. Even the manufacturers sometimes refer to their Gateways as "routers". And when asked they admit it's not technically correct, but they say they need to continue calling it a "router", because changing at this time would do more harm than good, in terms of confusion.

You only need a modem to connect to the internet, but if you have multiple devices, you also need a router. In other words, if you want to connect just one PC to the internet, you can do it with a modem and no router is needed. But if you have multiple devices you want to connect to the internet, a router is also needed and the router is connected to the modem.

Just thought I'd mention that, because you will hear people say, you don't need a Gateway to connect to the internet, you can instead use a modem approved by the internet provider, and then any router of your choice - which is true.

Overview of Xfinity Gateways - Xfinity Support

Old 03-08-24, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Xfiniti is a nuisance. If you require port forwarding.,.,.,. that must be done from the My Inf app.
Everything else can be done directly.
I work with these routers/modems constantly.

When you view connected devices.... you need to go all the way to the right side of the page.
You may see a slide bar at the bottom of the screen that will allow you to see the left side where edit is located.

You don't have to use the app.
You can go to xfiniti(dot)com and sign into your account using your Xfiniti email address.
https://login.xfinity.com/login
Once signed in click on WiFi tab.
This is shown in the videos I linked to.

I'm a bit at a loss.... your anti virus program shouldn't be concerned with a wireless log in.
What kind of problems are you having...... "network invasion" ?

Old 03-13-24, 03:48 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 51 Posts
I didn't see this mentioned above, but maybe I missed it. Comcast residential gateways may provide a separate "xfinitywifi" network for public use by other Comcast customers. Scan for networks and maybe you'll see it. It "should" be harmless and not count against your data usage, but it might add to your bandwidth.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...wifi-internet/

You can try disabling it if you find it active.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...i-home-hotspot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: