Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

What is a minimum deck height by code when it is built on concrete without steps

What is a minimum deck height by code when it is built on concrete without steps

Old 02-06-16, 05:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am helping a friend build a deck inside a house.
My first question is how high it can go before there is any need to put steps around it?
Second, What size should the joists be for it to be by code?
Third, it will be put in moist environment, what to use to avoid rott of wood(treated lumber)?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-16, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I am helping a friend build a deck inside a house.
That's unusual. Can you explain what that means ?

Old 02-06-16, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
He is confusing raised interior floors with outdoor decks. Different codes apply to each.

Best to consult the local AHJ to determine what they want.

Old 02-06-16, 07:03 PM
I think the deck is outside, just wrong terminology.

A normal (maximum) height for a stair riser would be around 7-1/2". If you build a deck or a platform higher than that without stairs or a ramp, it would not be comfortable to climb up on.

If you did add a few more inches, you're still able to step up on it, although not comfortably and it becomes unsafe.

Old 02-06-16, 09:55 PM
M
Excuse my incorrect verbiage, what i meant was a podium for a band which would be one level and hopefully not have any steps. It will be in a basement in area known for flooding.
It will be somewhere around 10' x 12' and it shouldn't be higher than 8''.
I am not sure that i can put 2''x8'' as joists, i may have to use 2''x6''. What i am worried about is the load bearing in that case there will be parties and jumping going on it with probably more than 8 people at a time.

Old 02-07-16, 04:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
If the floor joists rest on the concrete, their size shouldn't be an issue.
Can you better explain the flooding issue? That is something I would put a higher priority on and want to address first!

Old 02-07-16, 07:35 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Raised Flooring Gujarat Archives - Spandan Blog Site

How about a prefab raised floor? You can even take it with you, if you relocate.

Old 02-08-16, 08:46 AM
L
I am not so sure what the OP is looking for is actually a 'raised floor' per se, as in a commercial raised floor used for data centers.

In my experience, when a home owner mentions a raised floor, this is what they mean: Slab Foundation vs. Crawl Space

Yes, some raised floor companies make 'modular' or 'portable' raised floors, but I think it's an entirely different concept from building a deck inside of a house.

Like, this product is portable and could be called a 'raised floor'; but it probably isn't what the OP is looking for when he says he is building a deck inside a house.

Tate is one of the oldest manufacturers of raised flooring for data centers, and I don't think they're made in India ??

Regarding the steps/ramp/height question: I don't know where you're located, but if in the U.S., commercial buildings must comply with ADA (Americans with Disability Act). Residential buildings should comply with their local building code.

The height of the 'deck' will determine how many steps you need, and determine if you need a 'ramp'.

Maybe a bit more information on what you mean by a 'deck' inside your friend's house..?