Deck Extension

Old 02-09-16, 08:15 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Extension

Hello,

I have an existing deck that I would like to add a small extension to. The previous owners had a hot tub installed and removed when then moved. That hot tub was on a concrete slab at the end of the deck (approx. 6x6). I would like to create an extension that sits on this slab and is tied to the existing deck joists. The original deck is about 11x16.

Any foreseeable issues? I am assuming I would need a permit to add this small extension.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-16, 09:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! In all likelihood, since you are technically changing the footprint of the house structure, you will need a permit. Not being able to see your situation puts us behind a little. If you could post a picture or two we may can catch up. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Basically, you won't be able to support your deck on the slab alone, as it is probably only 3 or 4" thick, and does not extend to the frost line. Footings would need to be dug and poured for each post added. You can tie the deck to your existing deck without problems. We'll wait on the pictures to add more.

Old 02-09-16, 11:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Additionally, wood needs to breathe and installing on the ground or concrete often does not provide enough air movement, leading to premature rotting of the wood.

Old 02-09-16, 11:52 AM
M
Pictures are not that great, some snow on the ground covering the slab. The first image is the slab from the ground, second image is from deck looking at where the hot tub was, third is where the addition would connect to existing deck.

Old 02-09-16, 12:18 PM
M
The images are not the best at this time. It would be approximately a 8x8 table secured to the slab and the deck. I would probably drop it a step down from the original deck but would have plenty of vacant space for airflow.

Old 02-09-16, 12:24 PM
It looks as if there was a deck there previously as shown by the joist locations. Are there any footers in the ground, now? I question the posts on the existing deck as they appear to be sunk in the ground. They will fail eventually, but that is another matter. Posts should be set on top of approved post bases, secured to a footer extending to the frost line. So some excavation may be needed depending on the size of deck.

Old 02-09-16, 01:16 PM
M
Sorry for the double post there, the site froze when adding the images. There was not a deck where the concrete slab was laid. There are not footers in the ground outside of the original deck. The current deck is level and all of the wood is in great shape. I would be adding a very small section, the size of a hot tub small.

Old 02-09-16, 01:50 PM
I was questioning the shadows of former joists. What was here if not a deck? Just curious. Trying to make the best of your situation.

Name:  deck.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  37.7 KB

Old 02-09-16, 01:54 PM
M
Those are actually where the old railings were.

Old 02-09-16, 01:57 PM
Ahhh OK. Yeah, bottom line, dig the footers and attach it to the existing deck would be the only way out.