Awning option to reduce the heat inside the house

Old 02-17-16, 02:53 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Awning option to reduce the heat inside the house

Hi,

I have one of the southfacing bedrooms getting really hot. Started thinking to install either manual or motorized awning to block the sun from the 48" window and adjacent wall, but after looking at prices thought maybe tinting the window is better

How much of the heat is passed through on average by the window (supposedly lowE glass about 13-14 yo) and how much is by the wall with old insulation probably 30 yo?
If it matters, the window is on the second story and barely used at all. If I get the awning, I am assuming it would make sense to buy the motorized one because it allows, with installation of the wind sensor (extra cost again), to close the awning when it gets windy. The flip side of it, I am assuming I'd have to wire an outlet to the outside somewhere in the vicinity of the window, otherwise no power there. Oh, and it would have to be GFCI on it's own circuit, I assume again
Thank in advance!

Old 02-17-16, 03:24 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
You have more then enough post to post some pictures.
There is no "average" when it comes to windows.
Let me guess, that old a house and in your area only 2 X 4 walls, R13 max insulation?
Could be lot's of other things causing that imbalance of air.
No return air vent on the second floor, lack of insulation in the attic, no air sealing in the attic, lack of proper venting in the roof.

Old 02-17-16, 06:47 PM
N
thank you joecaption,

Will post some pictures when I have it, but I doubt it will give you much.

Yes on 2x4, yes probably R13, but why is the wall getting so hot? I measured yesterday it was 98F in the corner closer to the attic. I am planning on replacing the insulation in the attic, but making it air tight (from what I gather is the most important) seems to be Herculean task.
I am trying to avoid forced ventilation of the attic because of the possible fire danger, so I am dismounting my barely working solar fan and installing two gable vents instead.
So, will I know if the tinting gives me anything only after I install it?

Old 02-18-16, 02:26 PM
N
Here are the pics:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: