Screen porch cost

Old 02-27-16, 06:19 AM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Screen porch cost

My wife and I are starting to get proposals to build a screened porch on a portion of our deck. (Prior to starting I confirmed that the deck structure is more than sufficient to support the porch except for an additional support at one corner of the porch which ends between two posts.) We've spoken to one contractor and now we're wondering if our budget is realistic. We haven't heard back on the contractor's entire proposal but he gave us an estimate to replace an existing french door with a slider that will fit in the same space of close to $2,000 - excluding the cost of the door.

I'd appreciate hearing comments on budgeting (a range) for our porch because we don't want to continue getting estimates and wasting people's time if the cost is beyond our funds. We assumed the porch cost would be $10,000, or roughly $70/sft. That seemed right given the porch would be built over an existing deck excluding one support. If it matters, we live in Connecticut.

The porch will be 10X14 with the maximum amount of screening on three sides. We want an almost flat roof with shingles to match our architectural roofing. Exposed areas would be covered with Azek. There will be no electrical update needed as the space has a light fixture and an outlet. One additional post will be needed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-16, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
Flat roof and shingles are two things that do not logically go together. Shingles should not be installed on less than a 2:12 pitch and even then it makes ice dams/leaks more likely.

Without information on how much of the interior and ceiling would be finished, it's hard to give any sort of estimate. We also don't know how a roof would tie in without some sort of picture to go on.

Old 02-27-16, 07:01 AM
T
Thanks for the quick response. I agree with your roof comment. The roof would be "almost flat", meaning that the roof pitch would be not flat but not steep. I believe the style is called a shed roof style. The ceiling would be finished in PVC beadboard. In terms of interior, we expect it to be finished in Azak and PVC. Of course we don't have a picture of the actual porch, but here's a picture of what we have in mind including the railing I found on the Internet - disregard the roof-line and fan.

Beyond that, I'm hoping to get a range.

Name:  Screen_Porch_Interior.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  41.7 KB

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-27-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-27-16, 10:19 AM
T
We also don't know how a roof would tie in without some sort of picture to go on. Here's a photo of a porch in the style we're seeking to show how the roof would tie-in.

Name:  screened-porch.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  35.9 KB

Old 02-27-16, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think I'd shop around for a different contractor, as his $2000 labor quote to install an exterior slider is totally unrealistic. Unless he's looking to buy another Mercedes, to add to his fleet of Benzes.

FWIW, I've never charged more than $500 (labor only) to install a sliding door, unless there were significant, mitigating circumstances that required additional rework.

Old 02-27-16, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
I was hoping that the op misspoke and meant INCLUDING... not EXCLUDING! lol

Old 02-27-16, 11:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You're not wasting people's time by collecting bids, that's the way the process is meant to work. There's just too many variables to estimate cost remotely like this.