getting ready to plank the deck

Old 03-15-16, 05:27 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
getting ready to plank the deck

I am at the point with my deck build where I am going to buy the planks. Im looking at a less expensive "Veranda" composite decking from a box store.
When doing some product comparisons with composite decking I notice some guys seem to be putting a rubberized weather proofing material on the tops of their joists before laying the decking down.
Is this something you guys would recommend? It seems like a decent thought but to me it also looks like a layer that moisture could get under and not out as easy causing rot.

Any tips on yay or nay?
thanks

Old 03-15-16, 06:23 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I think it's a good idea and did it on my deck. When I removed the old decking, there were quite a few joists that had to be replaced because of rot on the top surface of the joists, even though the old joists were pressure treated. Water tends to collect on that top surface and the flashing tape prevents it from getting to the top of the joist. Just make sure the joists are very dry when you apply the flashing tape, and press it down firmly with a J roller. The tape is usually 2 inches wide, so it will wrap over a little onto the sides of the joists; roll it tight there are well.

Adds a little expense and time, but not a lot considering cost of the other materials.

Old 03-15-16, 07:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
A buddy of mine just rebuilt his deck and his research indicated doing so was a good idea so he did that as well.

Old 03-15-16, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just remember, with the composite boards, the minimum joist spacing is 16", and is recommended at 12". You can use tar paper or flashing tape to help send water away from the tops of the joists. Will you be using hidden fasteners, or direct screw installation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: