Joist hanger in a corner

Old 04-03-16, 02:20 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joist hanger in a corner

Name:  IMG_20160403_133210124.jpg
Views: 5807
Size:  37.2 KB

Is there anything else I can do other than putting nails in one side of this triple joist since I don't have access to the other side? The hanger is fully secured.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-16, 02:52 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Use 1 or 2 of these Simpson DTT:

Name:  DTT2Z-SDS25_RI.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  11.0 KB

Attach to the side of the accessible joist and then drive a lag screw, or better, a Ledgerlock or Timberlock into the ledger and if possible, through into the rim joist. Space them back an inch or two from the end of the joist.

Old 04-03-16, 02:58 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I should have added to use longer lags than those provided with the hanger to secure it to the joists so you pick up all three joists. The standard screws are only long enough to go through 1. Use the beefiest lags that will fit through the holes and drill pilot holes for them.

Old 04-03-16, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Instead of tripling the joists there, the siding on that side should have been removed and a ledger should have been used on that side. Covering up the siding the way you are is just creating a problem where the siding is going to rot and you won't be able to get to it. It should be lagged and flashed just like your other ledger.

Old 04-03-16, 06:52 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Unless where missing some info there's 0 reason for a trippled up joist there. one would work fine and there's no need to have it tight to the corner.
The deck boards can cantilever out a few inches.
No way would I add another ledger!
Hardie plank should not be installed within 2" of any solid surface surface IE: decking, stoop, roof.
That wall where the ledger is should have been water proofed with something like Storm and Ice Shield, ledger should have been spaced out away from the wall for drainage behind it and so it sticks out far enough that you can attach the deck boards and still not have them tight to the wall, I used 1 X 4 or 1 X 6 vinyl lumber to act as a spacer cut to the width of the ledger sitting vertical.
If that's aluminum flashing it's going to fail because it's in direct contact with the pressure treated lumber.

Old 04-03-16, 06:57 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks to CT on the use of the DTT. I am using those on this project, so I'll do as you suggest.

More info, the side next to the triple beam is the chimney. On the other side of the chimney will be another triple beam which will support a double header between the two, all per DCA6.

FYI, the ledger has a membrane and Tyvek behind it, the flashing is galvanized steel.

Old 04-03-16, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
More ledger info: If the chimney (bump out) framing is not on a footing you cannot attach a ledger to it, you would need to box around it with a ledger on either side, blocking to the adjacent joist, then a joist between the blocking that spans the front of the chimney. Joe's idea to use a single hanger spaced away from the house would also work, but IMO it is still a *very bad* idea to bury siding behind a deck. Personally, I would also be using a 4" galvanized ledger flashing, not that little galvanized one, where water could potentially wrap around and blow back.

Old 04-03-16, 09:20 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Galvinized flashing would not be allowed here.
It's still going to react when in contact with the copper treated lumber and just rust out.
At least add a layer of Storm and Ice Shield or window tape on top of the ledger so there's no direct contact.

Old 04-04-16, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Huh? Don't know what planet galvanized flashing won't work on. R703.8

Joist hangers and fasteners on ACQ are galvanized too. A membrane can't hurt, provided it meets AAMA 711.