Deck stair and guard rail

Old 04-13-16, 07:51 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck stair and guard rail

I am replacing the railing on my deck and the posts, as most were installed incorrectly. One staircase (5 risers) also needs a new railing installed, the other stairs need a replacement railing.

At the top of the stairs, can one post serve as the connection point for both the deck guard rail and the stair guard rail? Both sets of stairs will be along the outer joists (opposite sides), and my posts along the sides are being attached with blocking between joists and Simpson deck ties.

Hope this makes sense, let me know if it's not clear. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dig deeper into the deck.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-16, 08:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The post at the top of the stairs can be used to secure both the railing and the handrail although some designs are done different than others. A pic or two of the look you are after [including what you have now] would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-13-16, 03:25 PM
D
It is a basic stair coming off at 90 degrees. Nothing fancy so hopefully that will work. Trying to post a pic from my phone but that's eluding me at the moment.

So I'll put another question out. For the posts and deck ties, what type of bolts do I use? I've read carriage bolts but wasn't sure if I should drive the square collar into the wood. Also read machine or through bolts. Found some hex bolts but the threads didn't go the whole way and wasn't sure of the size. Not familiar with when to use which type. Thanks!!

Old 04-13-16, 03:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Your deck bible with all the answers you could ever ask for... This will help make sure you build it to code.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Your pictures most likely have to be scaled down in size to web quality for upload to the website. Best to do from a laptop with a standard free resizing program.

Old 04-14-16, 07:12 AM
D
Thanks for the link. I recognize a lot of those pictures from my local code. It lists using through bolts much like my local code. When I search for "through bolts" I don't find any product that looks like a normal bolt.
Are carriage bolts OK? I wasn't sure if driving the collar into the wood was ok or not. Or hex bolts look close, I just have to make sure the threads extend up the bolt enough.
Thanks!

Old 04-14-16, 08:43 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It lists using through bolts much like my local code. When I search for "through bolts" I don't find any product that looks like a normal bolt.
look for 1/2" x ? whatever length hex bolts.
Everbilt 1/2 in. x 8 in. Galvanized Hex Bolt-805756 - The Home Depot

I used these, Thrulok. slicker then snot these are. no pre drilling required
http://www.fastenmaster.com/products...ng-system.html

http://www.homedepot.com/p/FastenMas...8-24/202618103

Old 04-14-16, 02:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You want 1/2" by your needed length galvanized carriage bolts. At the big orange store, they have a stand alone display near the lumber isle. You need a bolt, washer, and nut x 2 for each connection usually. Personally, I buy mine from a lumber yard as they are much cheaper that at the box stores.

Everbilt 1/2 in. x 6-1/2 in. Galvanized Carriage Bolt (15-Piece per Pack)-805120 - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: