Free Standing Deck On Concrete Pier Blocks

Old 04-14-16, 07:03 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Free Standing Deck On Concrete Pier Blocks

Hello,

I'm thinking about building a small free standing deck (10x15 and about a 1 foot high) on top of a 5 inch thick concrete patio in a location where more than 2 sides will be touching an exterior wall to my house (the shaded area in the photo below where the white door is.) Since this is sort of a tight area, I'd like the ability to adjust the beams so I can build the frame push it into place. To do this I've been wondering if I could use a Simpson strong tie adjustable anchor in a concrete pier block which is pictured below.

Is it okay to have these pier blocks on top of the concrete slab with no attachment to the slab? I like the ability to adjust the footings along with adjustable anchors.

Attachment 65087
Attachment 65088
public drive link to images if the above do not work
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...TA&usp=sharing

edit: Forgot to mention this is in Los Angeles.

Last edited by dlay33; 04-14-16 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 07:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it okay to have these pier blocks on top of the concrete slab with no attachment to the slab?
Here in NY, the answer is no. Check your local codes.

Old 04-15-16, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes, check with your authorities. As far as correctness, the answer would be no, since the slab cannot usually handle the weight of the deck and will crack. If you get their blessings, then using dek blocks would help spread the abrupt vertical pressure of the posts out somewhat and allow you to move it into place. I would only build the outer bands, leaving the joisting for when it is in place. That would keep the weight down somewhat. You won't need a balustrade with it being only 1' off the ground, but that would be your call. Don't drill into the dek blocks. Use your vertical supports to determine the height, then bolt them together, allowing them to sit directly in the cup of the dek blocks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: