Tired of staining deck

Old 04-26-16, 06:56 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tired of staining deck

Live in the Midwest and am tired of staining my deck every 1-2 years.

I have looked at several options:

1. Replacing the entire deck with composite (eg Trex). Cost about $10,000.

2. Paint the railings but keep staining the deck. $250 DIY but not sure what product to try this year.

3. Looked at some rubber and plastic tiles that install right on top of the deck (Multyhome.com) but the rubber ones smell and radiate too much heat and plastic ones have no warranty.

Am leaning toward #2 and do the Trex like in 2-3 years.

Current deck is 10 years old and wood is in decent shape.

Would love some input and guidance.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-16, 09:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
4) Remove the stain with a pressure washer the next time it needs to be stained. Then let it turn gray & forget about it.

Old 04-26-16, 09:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Agree with Pulpo. Decks are almost never stained here.

Old 04-27-16, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
A sealed deck will last longer than an unsealed deck and IMO look a lot better too
Generally removing the stain by pressure washing will chew up the wood some in the process although a stain stripper followed by pressure washing should be effective. You want to avoid using too much pressure or having the tip too close to the wood!

Quality stains almost always last longer than their cheaper counterpart provided proper prep and application is done although a lot also depends on the amount/type of weather the deck sees. What holds up best in one locale might not be the best choice in another so it's best to check locally to find out which stains are best in your area. Paint store employees [not paint dept] are usually well informed and also check with friends/acquaintances. Generally a good deck stain job will last 3-5 yrs.

btw - welcome to the forums Art!

Old 04-27-16, 08:55 AM
A
When I last stained, I power washed and not all came off so I am stuck restaining.

Even the paint stores tell me I can only expect 1 season here in Chicago even from the best stain.

I need some creative solutions.

Old 04-27-16, 09:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
While I've never painted in Chicago, I find it hard to believe that a quality deck stain would only last 1 yr. The more you can talk to those who have stained decks in your area the more informed you'll be as to your best option.

Old 04-27-16, 10:07 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
So you've ruled out just letting it weather and even high quality stain isn't lasting in your area.

There are tile type products that are composite, similar to Trex and tiles with real wood, like IPE. I think there are some with thin stone even. Some of the composites have long warranties, so are probably worth at lest considering, but likely will be as expensive as just putting down a composite deck. I don't see wood tiles being a long term solution unless maybe you take them up in the winter and who wants to do that.

I think you've made a case for why composite decking has become so popular, for those that can afford it.

I replaced my worn out PT decking with Timbertech PVC wrapped composite decking a few years ago and it is very nice. It is not maintenance free (no decking is) but all it requires (in NE ohio) is annual pressure washing and periodic hosing off during the season. Still looks like new.

Before that, I tried one of the deck restore products (pretty much like thick paint). Looked nice for a year; then started to peel in spots. To be fair, the underlying wood was in rough shape, but no one puts deck restorer on a deck in good shape!

There's no magic bullet out there...

Old 04-28-16, 08:20 AM
A
The one downside I have read to putting any of the Trex like tiles (Menards now sells capping boards) is mold under the new tiles as it never dries.

Old 04-28-16, 12:43 PM
W
Around here (Eastern shore of Lake Huron), even the best products available will not last more than a couple of years on a properly prepped and stained deck. In fact, most of the painters around here (myself being one of them) won't even touch decks anymore. Too many callbacks from customers wanting it redone for free.

I built the deck off the back of my house 6yrs ago and haven't put anything on it. Don't plan to either. I just pressure wash it once or twice a year and forget about it.