Building code for rooftop deck

Old 05-03-16, 09:14 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building code for rooftop deck

Hello everyone,
Can any of you point me in the direction of the building codes for rooftop decks? I have found the code for decks in general, but does not seem to offer anything specific for rooftops.
thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-16, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Chapter 8 - Roof-Ceiling Construction

IRC 2012 is just a general code that is often adapted by municipalities, but your local code is what you need to abide by.

Old 05-03-16, 10:44 AM
G
Locally we have to conform to IRC 2009. Still not sure what I need to comply with. It is on the roof of the garage, a deck was there that I just removed, to have a new roof surface installed. The old deck sat directly on the surface, and after many years has caused the roof to leak underneath. The new roof surface is going to be self stick granulated modified bitumen roofing. I am considering using Bison deck supports for the new roof.
So what I am looking for is code specific to building the deck on the garage roof that is already complete.

Old 05-03-16, 11:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Your best bet is to stop by the office of the local AHJ and see what they want you to do as they are the ones you have to make happy in the end.

Old 05-03-16, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Anything that is built on top of the existing framing will fall under framing codes first, deck codes second. Reason being, you can't put 5000 lbs of deck (with potentially even more live load) on top of a couple rafters without considering the load path and deflection of the existing framing. If the framing is determined to be incapable of supporting the additional dead load, live load, and snow load... well guess what? Your deck won't be possible under current requirements. Repairing the old pre-existing deck is out the window once you remove it. They may not allow it to be rebuilt... just saying.

I agree that your local inspector or a structural engineer would be the place to go for on site advice.

Old 05-03-16, 03:48 PM
G
I sure hope rebuilding is to code is possible! I took it apart in pieces and it is all sitting in the yard. I guess, worst case, I can put it back on and just replace the worst parts and call it a repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: