Detached Covered Patio with Swing Bed

Old 05-04-16, 10:26 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detached Covered Patio with Swing Bed

I'm going to build a covered patio with a swing bed. I've never done anything like this before and I'm strongly considering on hiring someone else to do it because it seems pretty overwhelming. It's going to be 6x11 and I'm using 6x6 posts. The ground is mainly clay and rocks, which drains slow. I don't know if I should bury the posts in concrete with or without one of those quik tubes or if I should set a bracket in the concrete and attach the post above ground. Which is best for the condition of the ground and stability for a swing bed? Attached is what I'm going to build. There will be no deck or planter boxes in between the posts.

Attached Images  
Old 05-04-16, 12:29 PM
M
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks very pretty. If you go the route of putting brackets on top of the concrete to mount the posts you're going to have to put some cross bracing between the posts to keep them from swaying, especially when the Swing Bed swings. I normally don't like the idea of embedding the posts in concrete but for the structure that may be your best bet.

To ensure that the posts last put gravel in the bottom of the hole and set the posts on the gravel. Then fill around the posts with concrete. By doing it this way water will not stay in the posts but will drain through the bottom to the gravel. It will significantly increase the life of the posts.

Old 05-04-16, 01:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Consider your swing mounting points depending on how much actual swinging you want to do. For the most effortless motion and to keep the bed level the rigid attach points at the ceiling should be at the same height. If your attach points are at different heights like shown in your picture the angle of the bed will change slightly as you swing and the different chain lengths/attach heights will slightly dampen the swinging motion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: