Estimate - Adding Stairs and Landing to existing 2 story deck

Old 05-05-16, 01:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Estimate - Adding Stairs and Landing to existing 2 story deck

Looking for help on an estimate to add a set of stairs and a 4' x 4' Landing off of an existing 2 story deck. I already have a concrete pad for the steps. The height is 6' 8" and Im using standard pressure treated lumber. Is $1800 too much for the labor?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-16, 01:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, there are usually too many variables to provide remote estimates like this. Best bet is to have three or more local bids so you can compare and ask questions.

Old 05-05-16, 01:33 PM
T
Yes, i understand. Maybe if I provide photos of my work. I just dont want to over charge the guy and I dont normally build decks for people so have no idea what to charge him. I will post some photos and basically just want to know if $1800 laber + $550 materials for a total of $2350 is reasonaable to charge for adding 4ft wide stairs and a 4' x 4' Landing attached to an existing 2 story deck.

Old 05-05-16, 04:31 PM
M
The only person that can determine if that's a good price or not is you. Take a quick guess at how many hours it is going to take to do the work and multiply by how much you feel is appropriate to charge for hour. Don't forget to include your overhead costs such as insurance etc. when you figure the cost for hour. In my opinion your estimated cost sounds a little high but I don't know anything about the location or many other variables including where you are located. I normally figure for a rough estimate that labor is about 2x materials as a starting point but obviously there are many other variables.

Old 05-05-16, 04:47 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
No pictures, no location, not sure how anyone would be even able to guess on price.

Old 05-05-16, 11:05 PM
T
My apologies for not having pics up yet....

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree with you except for charging 2x the materials for labor. Materials came to $600. I feel like $1200 is too low. Its what I would want to pay for it if I was having the work done which means thats cheap. I thought $1800 for labor was high myself but with materials it comes to $2400 total. From what I have found on the Internet so far the cost is ranging from $2800-$4000. I balked at some of the estimates and even made 1 guy angry. He said wait until you see how long it takes to do the work. I had to apologize cause he was right, it took much longer than I expected. I had to pour concrete footers for the 6x6 posts that hold the landing up, the stairs took "ME" a lot longer than it would for an experienced builder. All the little pickets, brackets, had to remove a section of the railing to create the opening for the landing, had to custom fit the wood to transition from existing deck rail to new railing. He wanted a gate added to the landing, etc... its more involved than 1 might think thats for sure.

Whats funny is, Im doing the work for my wife's boss who asked if I could finish basements. Having done a good deal of interior work I agreed to do it for him. First thing he asks me to do is cut out a section of the foundation wall to add a single door garage to the basement for his Ferrari. Then he needed a concrete driveway. Since we were having concrete delivered.... how about a patio, a sidewalk around to the side entry door from the new driveway. Had to pour a concrete retention wall and add a seperate retention wall on the other side of the driveway built out of 6x6 posts w/ deadman anchors. I went ahead and tied all of the nearby downspouts from the gutters into the drains I installed along both retention walls. All this without any concrete or deck building experience going into this job. Woohoo GO DIYers!!!

He has spent $17k and I have not hung the 1st piece of sheetrock yet. Hahaha. I have some photos of the work I did so far and will add pics of the deck in the morning. Thanks for the help everyone. These photos were taken before everything was cleaned up and blown off.

Attached Images   
Old 05-06-16, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
As a painting contractor I always based my quotes on how long I expected the job to take along with the expected material costs adding in enough to cover overhead. I would then typically add 10% to cover any errors in my estimate. Figure out how long you expect the work to take and times it by what you figure your time is worth and go from there comparing that figure to what you'd expect the competition to charge.

Old 05-06-16, 07:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were the one seeking the estimates. I've seen people who charge 3x materials, which sounds like what you would like to do. That, IMO, would be the high end of the range.

Short version is that you need to be able to estimate how long a job is going to take you, then figure out what amount of money you need to make per unit time and do the math to come up with the price for the job. You can see how important it becomes to be able to determine going in how long something is going to take or you're either going to bid yourself out of jobs or go broke working for peanuts.