Tongue in Groove over drywall?

Old 05-08-16, 01:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tongue in Groove over drywall?

I want to install a tongue in groove ceiling (or similar) on my screened in porch. The drywall ceiling doesn't like the humidity here. Should I tear out the drywall before installing the new ceiling or can I install right on top of it? There is no insulation above the drywall. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-16, 01:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You say the drywall doesn't like the humidity - has moisture damaged it? is it still stiff/flat?
Generally it's best to leave the drywall in place as a firestop but I don't know if that is required in a porch. My front porch ceiling has beadboard panels [3/8" thick] on the ceiling attached directly to the framing.

Old 05-08-16, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the fire retardancy is an issue, leave it or replace it and apply the bead board, but if it can't stand the moisture it would be a moot point. Remove it and install the bead planks. If the porch attic area is contingent to the house, there may be an insulation deficit, so check into that as you don't want the hot air from the porch to negate the insulation in the main part of the house.

Old 05-08-16, 02:48 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some of the knockdown texture has flaked off and some of the nails are showing, as well as some of the seams. Otherwise it's still stiff and relatively flat.

Old 05-08-16, 09:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Do you know if there is strapping across the joists? Personally I would remove it and install the bead.