Deck Ledger Additonal Support Question

Old 05-11-16, 09:52 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Ledger Additonal Support Question

Despite some disagreement over attaching ledger through brick, I am comfortable and set on using a ledger for my deck with through bolts into the rim joist. My neighbor suggested sinking some 2x4s directly under the ledger into the foundation. These wouldnt be posts sunk into the ground, just attached to the foundations. The ledger board(s) would rest on these and then be bolted to the house. The deck ranges between 3-5 feet off the ground.

Is there any validity to this suggestion? Would the anchored 2x4s provide any additional support for the deck/ledger?

Old 05-11-16, 10:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
If you're going with a ledger, those posts are not needed.

Old 05-11-16, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You cannot bolt to or through a brick veneer. See Figure 17 in this link: http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Your only option (that meets current building codes in most areas) is to built it freestanding, which means 6x6 posts on footings and piers. So if you are "set" on doing it your way, hope you know all the ramifications that come from ignoring building standards.

If in doubt, talk to your local building inspector, which you will need to do anyway when you get a permit. He has the final say.

Old 05-11-16, 10:25 AM
M
Bolting through brick veneer is a separate discussion. Code in my area (updated 2015) simply requires attachment of ledger to "solid structural material" not sheathing. While attaching to the brick itself would not be approved, through bolts into the rim joist are. My personal beliefs are this method of attachment is very secure and that any movements toward banning this is an overreaction that fortunately hasnt reached my area. I think it sucks it is affecting so many but I also have a hunch this method is often approved anyway.

I was more curious if anyone had heard of these ledger "supports" before.

Old 05-11-16, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The point is that a veneer of brick is not "solid structural material". There is an air space behind it, and it is loosely standing next to your framing, with only brick ties preventing it from pulling away from the building. It may seem solid but in the construction world, it is a veneer. Nothing attached to, or through a brick veneer can be structural.

Like I said, talk to your local inspector, see what he will allow.

Old 05-11-16, 03:27 PM
F
Cut the brick away and attach the ledger directly to the house.

Old 05-11-16, 03:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Stickshift is correct when he said that those posts wouldn't be needed. XSleeper is correct when he said that free standing is better & to check with the inspector, if you are filing plans with the building dept.

Old 05-12-16, 05:35 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Brick

Cut the brick away and attach the ledger directly to the house.
Definitely DO NOT DO THIS. The brick above the location of the ledger will have no support.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: