Crushed stone patio?

Old 05-23-16, 05:44 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Crushed stone patio?

I have a fire pit that is currently surrounded by grass. My plan is to take up the sod and replace it with a compacted gravel or crushed stone of some sort. We do not want a paver or field stone look.

Any recommendations for a material that can be compacted and fairly stable over New England winters. I have a small area around the firepit with crushed marble over paver base and it seems stable but it is not the look we want. Right now we are thinking crushed granite.

Old 05-23-16, 07:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Following the grass removal, I would definitely start with Typar to keep weeds and grass to a minimum, then basically any stone you would feel comfortable walking on. Crushed granite is stable and won't need compacting, but has sharp edges sometimes. I have pea gravel as a walkway from our house to the back driveway and it has stood the test of time and is easy on the feet.

Old 05-23-16, 07:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I personally don't like pea gravel as it never compacts as the round stones just roll past each other. A fine crushed stone can be compacted to be quite firm and smooth. In my area a good product is called stone dust and it contains stones/flakes from 1/4" down to dust.

Old 05-23-16, 08:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I didn't know it existed far from granite quarries or I would have suggested it. We lived near Elberton, GA for a while and it was a common (really cheap) by product. We carried our own feed bags and scooped up as much as we wanted for a few dollars. If we needed more, they would scoop it for us a yard at a time for $5. Works really great and compacts well.

Old 05-23-16, 04:39 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
We've decided to go with decomposed granite although I can't figure out how crushed stone can decompose. I had never heard of the stuff. The landscaper brought by a sample and it's basically a stone dust product. He will install it with a plate compactor.

Chandler - I think the term pea stone or gravel may be different in different areas.
What we get for pea stone is not a good material for walkways or patios. It never compacts. I have a 100' walkway made from field stones set in pea stone. The stuff was a real PITA. It just never stabilized. I ended up adding sand and paver base to try to get it to set up. If I wasn't so lazy I would tear it up and start over.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: