Porch Ceiling finish ideas? PVC MDO? vs Plywood?

Old 05-25-16, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Porch Ceiling finish ideas? PVC MDO? vs Plywood?

I am refinishing a porch roof from inside only. (Outside already done.) They previously had sheet-rock! It is outside, screened in, but very dusty and damp due to being built into a hillside. So after a rainfall it kicks up a lot of dust and takes a while for surroundings to dry up.
I am looking for material ideas, preferably 4 x 8 sheets. Itís about 450 sq. ft. PVC wainscot comes in a bit thick at over Ĺ inch and itís a bit pricey at $ 145/ sheet. This would have been ideal. The thinner sheets were a bit flimsy. I think 3/8 might work well. But I donít think it exists.
Same with the P.V.C. T & G 16ft planks, totaling highest cost! The plywood wainscot came unfinished. They recommend painting both sides? I was trying to get away with a pre-finished material,exterior use.
I have never used MDO? This comes primed and claims to be weather resistant. So all I need is to give one coat or two after installed. Anybody have experience with this? Priced moderate.
I would like to hear suggestions in trying and keep cost down (without an ordeal of prime and paint) and easy to install!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-16, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Vinyl beadboard soffit material might be what you are looking for.

I have 3/8" plywood beadboard plywood on my front porch ceiling and it has looked nice for the last 15 yrs or so. All I've done finishing wise on it was to apply a stain and 1 coat of waterbased satin poly, I've been meaning to give it a light sanding and another coat of poly but for whatever reason I've not gotten around to it. I did nothing to the back side of the plywood and it appears to be in just as good condition today as it was when new.

Old 06-17-16, 08:26 AM
cant seem to locate any thin vinyl bead board?
I can find it in thin vinyl in 16 foot lengths . Also located PVC but not thinner than 1/2 in PVC, But very pricey.

Old 06-17-16, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Should be available most anywhere vinyl siding is sold.

Shop Durabuilt 15-Pack 7.86-in x 148-in White Traditional Vinyl Siding Panels at Lowes.com

Old 06-30-16, 12:18 PM
Are you suggesting siding?

Comparison Assistant

something to this effect seems it may work well? just put it up like ship lapping and it may seems to hide everything nicely no painting!