Resurfacing Balcony

Old 05-29-16, 07:16 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Resurfacing Balcony

I live in a condo in Chicago, and I am fortunate to have a small balcony to enjoy during the warmer months. Unfortunately, the surface of the balcony is in bad shape, and it makes the whole space look ugly.

I'd like to resurface the balcony myself, but I'm not sure where to start. The current coating it blistering and peeling, and I'm not sure if or how to remove it. I'm also confused by the number of options for surface treatments, from epoxy to 10 versions of DeckOver. I'm not even sure what the balcony floor is made of.

Here is a photo of the current surface:

Name:  Balcony_sm.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  40.6 KB

Thanks!
-Adam

Old 05-29-16, 07:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Do you know what type of wood it is? The simplest thing to do would be to scrape and either prime and repaint or apply a solid body stain. Those restore type deck coatings look good at first but when they fail they cause more issues as complete removal is about the only way to get it looking good again.

Old 05-29-16, 07:27 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
First you have to tell us what it's made of.
Looks like painted concrete to me because of that rough seam showing.
No one here can do anything but make guesses without knowing what it is.

Old 06-01-16, 03:37 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you checked with your condo board about requirements for this area? For most condo buildings everything on the exterior is the responsibility of the Association, not the individual residents. In addition, even if it is your responsibility I'm sure they have some requirements that you must meet when doing any work on the outside of your unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: