Half Hexagon Steps for deck--instructions or step by step??

Old 08-25-16, 09:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Half Hexagon Steps for deck--instructions or step by step??

My husband just finished our 12'x36' deck and roof. He's ready to start building the steps for it. I'm really wanting the half hexagon looking steps. But I can only find pictures for him. Does ANYONE have a video, instructions, or step by step how some are made? Or photos step by step? If we can't find anything, he'll just have to wing it, but he's unsure of himself. Also, has anyone ever used conduit added to the handrailing? I've seen the conduit used horizontally on the railing, but we are wanting to use it vertically. Just curious if the conduit will rust or if it can be spray painted like a matte black?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-16, 09:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I would not use conduit for a railing. It's designed to contain wires and has thin walls so it's not very strong. Steel conduit only has a thin electro plating so it will rust but it can be painted.

Building shaped stairs isn't much different than building regular straight stairs. Do you (your husband) have any specific questions or is there something that he's unsure about? Usually figuring the rise and run and cutting the stringers is the hardest part and that is the same regardless of the stairs shape.

Old 08-25-16, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
When building a half hexagon stair, treat it like 3 standard stairways... but leave a 3" gap at each corner so that you can insert a doubled stringer on the miter, which will bisect the angle exactly.

This bisected stringer is not the same as the others so you will want to do it last. The rise will be the same but each riser back will be cut at opposite angles that will plane in with the others. A stringline will be helpful in determining the angle and location of the riser cut. The treads will be longer due to the angle... kind of like the hypotenuse of a triangle is longer than the sides.