Ledger.,, installed correct? No problems? Up to code ??

Old 08-25-16, 07:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ledger.,, installed correct? No problems? Up to code ??

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  52.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  42.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  41.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  32.9 KBDoes The vinyl Starter Strip need to be removed?

If the starter strip needs to be removed. What do I put under the ledger to prevent water or anything else from rotting my house and ledger.

I cut the siding off and had about 1/2-1" left. Removed the siding and I have the ledger resting on what I believe is the vinyl Starter strip. Pictures attached. The bottom part of the ledger is resting on The vinyl siding starter strip. Do I need to remove the starter strip?

Also is it code complaint for the ledger to
Be broken to make room for the vent?

Views: 719
Size:  32.9 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by jenny90210; 08-25-16 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-16, 07:19 PM
J
Views: 508
Size:  38.2 KB

Is this allowed ?

Ledger is broken up for exhaust vent

Old 08-25-16, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I suppose you are carrying forward with this thread http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...ml#post2558508. I don't see any fasteners except nails. Not code. There is a fastener detail and layout in the link I provided on page 13 which must be adhered to.

Your starter strip should have been removed. You won't need it any more. There will be flashing installed up and under your siding and it will extend out onto the joist area, redirecting all water away from the house, again in the link.

Breaking the ledger is not a problem as long as it is fastened securely at the joint properly.

You will cut your siding once again to allow for your decking. You will install J channel to run along the top and allow your siding to rest inside it. I'd cut it another 1 1/4" to allow for a 5/4 board, and the j channel.

Old 08-26-16, 11:18 AM
J
Yea I've continued with the posts.
I haven't attached the LedgerLoks because I wanted to check to see if the starter strip had to be removed or not. I have wood screws in there now and I'll be removing them to install the lags.

This might be a dumb question but how the J channel fit in? I currently have vinyl ledger board flashing up under the siding. Should the J channel go on top of the white vinyl ledger flashing?

You would cut the vinyl another 1" to allow a 5/4 deck board to lay against it? Wouldn't the deck board lay against the vinyl?

If I remove the starter strip I'll have about 1/2" off wood exposed before the concrete of the house starts. What would I put there to prevent any water issues?

I have this installed currently but it's vinyl.
How would J channel fit in addition?
Views: 511
Size:  10.6 KB

What do I put on the sides?

Old 08-26-16, 04:59 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
How big is this deck going to be?
No permits with plans that have been approved?
I would also have removed the starter strip, it has no use any more.
I would have spaced the ledger out away from the wall for drainage with 1 X 6 vinyl lumber sitting vertical every 24".
I would have ran the storm and ice shield past the brick below by at least 1".
Any lags or Ledger Locks need to be screwed into the rim joist not just into the sheathing!
You never want to run the deck boards tight to the siding or wall!
That lower siding should have been removed, not cut to install the ledger.

Old 08-26-16, 05:08 PM
Your siding will now sit on top of your deck boards via the j channel. The starter strip is history and will serve no purpose at this point. Your flashing should be a straight "L" without the lip. It will extend up behind the siding and onto the ledger and joists. You will drive no fasteners in the edge of the board adjacent to the house. That will defeat the purpose of the flashing. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf page 14

Old 08-26-16, 08:32 PM
J
Thanks. My county doesn't allow for spacing behind the ledger. It has to be flush.

I only have them in sheathing as temporary until I get the siding correctly installed.

I will remove the Starter strip in the morning and add another inch or so of Ice and water shield past the brick.

Thanks

Old 08-27-16, 12:43 AM
J
Joe,

Sorry if this Is a rookie question but why wouldn't i cut the siding to install the ledger?

Every two pieces is one piece that can be removed. I can't remove that small piece below the door.

So I cut it. I then installed 3" vinyl ledger flashing.

Why can't I have the Azex boards flush against the little piece of siding?

It's both composite, shouldn't be any rot issue. Right?

Old 08-27-16, 05:23 AM
cut the siding to install the ledger?
You will cut the siding, but until you get the ledger and your decking installed, just remove whole pieces of siding to where you can work on the deck. Then install j channel to sit on your decking and cut the siding to sit in the j channel.

Placing anything against the siding will allow water to fall between it and the siding. It is better to have the shedding effect with the siding sitting on top of everything else. Where do you plan on installing Azek?

Old 08-27-16, 08:29 AM
J
Thanks again
I plan on installing the Azek as the decking.

I know you've said this numerous different ways but let me just rephrase so I know I understand it lol

When everything is done the decking should not be pushed up against the siding because water can behind the ledger. Instead I should install the J channel and have the decking pushed up and flush with the decking?

I should also install the ice and water shield at least an inch past where the concrete starts?

Thanks again for all the help and not totally destroying me here. Hahaha

Old 08-27-16, 12:25 PM
decking pushed up and flush with the decking?
Decking pushed up and flush with the flashing, which will be under your siding and over your ledger and out onto your joists a little. Install your siding and j channel after the decking is down. I question using Azek as decking. Can you refer us to a link for this?

Old 08-27-16, 07:25 PM
J
Appreciate all the help.
Today I extended the ice and water shield past the rim board and silk plate.
I added undersill trim to the top of the ledger and vinyl flashing.
J channel on the sides and drip edge with a straight "L" to the bottom of the ledger.

Really appreciate all of the help and back and forth.

I'm confused about what you are referring to with the Azek decking and a link. Are you saying you don't recommend Azek decking?

Old 08-28-16, 04:54 AM
No, I didn't say I didn't recommend Azek for decking, it is just that I "questioned" it. With new innovations hitting the market every day, some newer products slip past us and I wanted to know exactly what you were using, thus the link request.

Old 08-28-16, 07:18 AM
J
Old 08-28-16, 01:38 PM
Got it. But are you Jenny90210 or Jeremy9?