Deck Footings... What to do now...

Old 08-27-16, 06:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Footings... What to do now...

Well I had my deck footings poured and deck roughed in and by the time I came back from vacation I came to the attached pictures. The framing was excellent, but the footings left a lot to be desired. The posts are close to the edge, slightly slanted, and the lower landing has buried posts on a little cement pad. Now, if it was your deck what would you do? Leave it, or change it?

My thought is to jackhammer each footing, one at a time, a couple feet down, then install the Diamond Pier DP75 system on the larger posts, and DP50 on the lower landing. Any help would be great!

Name:  20160827_195915.jpg
Views: 6219
Size:  50.6 KBName:  20160827_200034.jpg
Views: 9355
Size:  50.0 KBName:  20160827_200018.jpg
Views: 3830
Size:  50.1 KBName:  20160827_200009.jpg
Views: 4573
Size:  49.8 KBName:  20160827_195919.jpg
Views: 3668
Size:  51.1 KBName:  20160827_200047.jpg
Views: 4891
Size:  47.2 KBName:  20160824_191457.jpg
Views: 4887
Size:  46.6 KB

Last edited by Shermer321; 08-27-16 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-16, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure why the footings were slanted, since concrete will settle level to the earth in most cases. At no time should you have ground contact with your posts. Footings above or at grade are required. In the last picture the post looks to almost be off the edge of the footing. Placing a footing in the proper location is not rocket science. If your contractor was that unsure of his placement, he should have used a wider diameter sonotube or another larger method of pouring the footing.

Old 08-28-16, 03:56 AM
J
Did you pay a contractor to do this for you? How about having your city/town building inspector come and take a look. Base your action based on the results of the inspection.

Old 08-28-16, 04:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
My inspectors would not approve the post partially off the footing. They will allow it to be off center but the entire base of the bracket must be on the footer. Also a post buried in the ground would not be approved. Not because the wood in the ground will rot faster but because there is no footer under the post.

Seeing the quality of work for the footers it makes me want to see some pictures of how the deck is attached to the house. I would look closely at how the ledger is attached (I'm looking for 1/2" hot dip galvanized bolts every 24"). I would also look closely at how they did the flashing to prevent water from getting up under your siding and into the door.

Old 08-28-16, 05:20 AM
S
The deck was framed with a different person then the company that did the footing. The footings were done first as you can guess.

The one post is off the footing but it is just a clipped corner. I can clean it off for a better picture. Do I just grind the slanted ones down and redo the landing with diamond piers?

The ledger is attached properly with ledger locks that are tied to the floor truss'.

The lower landing does have a base of concrete at the bottom of the hole, but it scares me to have it in ground contact when I'm pouring a patio around it (hard to replace).

The inspector passed the footings, but I also live in the boonies where that doesn't mean much... I want it to be right, and don't know what to do. Grind, or replace with diamond pier?

Old 08-28-16, 12:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The inspector could have passed the footings, but there was no wood present when he did it, most likely, and he had nothing to relate to. The framer should have called off the job, and requested the footings be redone before he laid the first board. If you are pouring a patio on the entire area, they may allow you to expand the existing footers with adjacent concrete formed against the original. May not. You will need those footings to extend to the level of the proposed patio as the posts cannot rest on the patio alone. Where you are located may call for deeper footings anyway, so if you can raise the posts off the footings and remove them, using Elephant foot footers may be allowed.