Using concrete deck blocks around small concrete pad

Old 09-14-16, 12:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using concrete deck blocks around small concrete pad

When I moved into my house a few years ago it was bought under short sale by a flipper and they renovated the house. The back steps were trash and they threw something together quick for the sake of a quick sale. Since then the wood on it has pretty much rotted. It's about a 3' x 6' upper wood deck, two steps down, and then flag stone. I want to build a new patio that has the upper small patio and then maybe one step down for the rest of the patio. But underneath of the steps is an existing small concrete pad that I don't want to tear apart. I guess I'm just over concerning myself about the every 16" apart rule for bracing. If I put a 2x4 the whole width against the house for the deck boards and then two concrete blocks on the outer corners, with a couple of cross braces inside I'm still concerned about sagging in the middle. Could I just stack some wood between the concrete pad and one of the cross braces and call it good like that? hope this worded right.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-16, 12:55 PM
B
this pic is an example of what I ultimately plan to do but with a separate raised area in front of the doors.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-16, 01:20 PM
B
and a really bad crude drawing of what I'm referring to. How concerned should I be about bracing to the ground in this area. it will be attached to the house the whole way across the back side and just the two corners. The front and side cross beams will likely be a 2x8 with just the one against the house being a 2x4.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-16, 01:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
First thing I would do is remove that tree.

I can't tell, are you proposing to attach the stairs to the house or will they be free standing?

EDIT: Looks like you got in ahead of me with the answer. FWIW, I would not anchor ANYTHING to the house which did not sit on a proper footer to the frost depth.

Old 09-14-16, 01:40 PM
B
If the wife would have let me that tree would've been gone a long time ago. As for the frost depth comment...would you suggest putting two additional concrete blocks next the house and completely support the deck that way? So the house is not bearing any weight? I doubt these steps are what they originally intended since that original concrete pad is still there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: