Enclosing an downstairs outside deck ?

Old 09-23-16, 02:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Enclosing an downstairs outside deck ?

Have a small apartment that I have trouble getting a renter in, usually people with decent jobs say it doesn't have enough room.
However it does have a back door opening out on to a downstairs deck (see attached pic).

Is it a realistic idea, to somehow convert this bottom part of the deck into an enclosed room of sorts, like maybe a windowed porch?
I was thinking that it must somehow be heatable so that it could be used year round. Then technically the apartment would have another room.
On the other hand, I don't know if the money, time and work not to mention city building and zoning inspecting and approving, etc etc would even be worth it.

I also thought about maybe just putting in a couple more wood privacy panels up like there is on one side, to give it more the "look" of a room, even if its just an outdoor three season type porch. Even though the yard is nice to look at. It would still give the impression of a larger apartment.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-16, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
You'll end up with issues trying to create an environmentally controlled room.

1) You'll need permits to do something major and visible like that.
2) You'll need to put in footings to hold the weight.
3) You'll definitely need heat in Illinois in the winter.
4) The roof needs to be made weatherproof or the deck will leak in.

Old 09-23-16, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Perhaps they say "It doesn't have enough room", but what they really mean is "It doesn't have enough room for the amount the rent is." Just thinking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: