Best option to build a balcony

Old 10-05-16, 12:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best option to build a balcony

OK, so my deal is, I just purchased a Duplex. The hallway to get upstairs doesn't even allow a love seat to get up the stairs nor a queen size box spring. That's just to give perspective of how tight the fit is. My goal is to turn a huge window in the upper apartment into a patio removable door, and build a mini patio with a staircase up to it so the next tenants can move in their big stuff that way, and not have to worry about the tight fit. If I don't, I will limit who I can rent to, due to renters usually already owning larger furniture. And maybe not even be able to rent it out. I'm willing to add the patio with like timber attaching to the ground and up to the patio for support, so I don't solely have to attach to my house. I don't mind that. I'm not entirely sure if I explained that well. Ask for clarity and I will provide.. Someone please help me here?

Old 10-05-16, 02:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Posting pictures of the wall you plan on modifying would help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Your profile is not complete so we don't know where you are located, and many of our answers may be locally inherent. From what I gather, you want to build a second story deck with stairs leading to it. Doable, but we need more information. Pictures will help.

Old 10-05-16, 02:48 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can post pictures tommorow, and as for location, I'm in Milwaukee wi.. And yes you are correct with the last statement.

Old 10-05-16, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Start thinking of your "balcony" as a raised deck and stairs. Do searches along that route and you'll see construction practices and codes that will affect your build. You will need a building permit and inspections. Do not think of skimping or cutting corners. Decks, especially elevated ones, are under extreme scrutiny because of the regular deaths and injuries caused by decks that collapse so the construction methods are rather specific and stringent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: