Cantilevered Deck

Old 10-19-16, 07:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cantilevered Deck

Hello Everyone,

I bought a house that was built in 1956. It has a cantilevered deck that is starting to rot a bit. Before replacing the wood I just wanted to make sure it was even built correctly and up to code. The deck cantilevers out about 5 feet ontop of beams that are about 22 feet long total through the house. From what I read this is about 25% of the span so that should be good. These beams are spaced 3 feet apart under the deck. The total length of the deck is about 48 feet. The beams measure 11"x2.75" each. Under the deck there are pieces of 2x12 pressure treated wood sandwitched on each side of the beams.

Does this seem structurally ok? Would I be good to just replace the wood? Or would I need to add more structure.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-19-16, 07:36 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
A few pictures showing the overall deck and closeups of problem areas would help us give advice.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-20-16, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
While waiting on pictures, my first observation is to abandon all cantilevers of that age due to water infiltration possibilities. It was a cute idea in the 50's, but fast forward 60 years, and the wood probably shows signs of water damage. In addition, today's standards requires the cantilevered wood to be inserted and bolted to the floor joists to an extent of 1/3 the length of the over all deck dimensions, which I am sure was the case in 1956.

Cutting the tails of the cantilevers flush and sealing them, then flashing over the area, installing a ledger board, fastened to the tails and the house band will give many years of good service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: