Trex decking

Old 12-23-16, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Trex decking

I have been asked to make a proposal to remove pt 5/4 decking from a boat dock (really a swim dock with no handrails, etc.) and replace them with composite. I have quoted replacing with pt and with Trex, mainly due to the shock factor I knew they would go through on the price of Trex. Au contraire... he is asking if there is a "marine" grade Trex type product.

Apparently they are not afraid to spend more money. I just need to know if anyone had heard of a "marine" grade composite. I would think it all is semi impervious to water (fresh, not salt).

The framing is in excellent shape. They just installed #2 grade 5/4 boards and it all warped up on them.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-16, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
This doesn't answer your question regarding composites, but when I think of a marine type decking that will hold up to water and weather, I think of Ipe, Cypress, and Teak.

There are a few pros for composites but also quite a few cons. A deck at a house is one thing but decks near water have other considerations... heat, scuff / skid resistance, mold/mildew, etc.

Composite Decking on a Boardwalk is a Very Bad Idea

But HDPE plastic lumber is one choice... sometimes used for commercial tables and chairs in parks and such. Available in nominal thicknesses like decking or dimensional lumber. 2x6's make nice decking.

Old 12-23-16, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the link, Brant. I think it will convey the message I think it should. Personally I would rather see him replace the pt with pt, both for cost factor as well as for practicality. I think the heat thingy would stop it, as it will be used for a swim dock for kids.....not good.

Old 12-23-16, 06:51 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Timbertech makes a product they call Docksider intended for exactly this use. But if you thought Trex was expensive....

https://timbertech.com/products/decking/docksider

Old 12-23-16, 06:59 PM
Holy mackerel, Andy !! HD sells it for $5 per linear foot. Lets see.....1472 linear feet at $5 runs about $7360....plus tax !!

Old 12-23-16, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Don't forget to include your 15% overhead fee!

Old 12-23-16, 07:21 PM
5% fuel surcharge on material cost.........then LABOR!!!

Old 12-23-16, 11:18 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
I'm surprised to read all the negative comments regarding composites. Personally I've built many wood decks but switched over to composites about 16 years ago and NEVER would build another wood deck.

The upfront cost are there, but considering the long term cost of no maintenance, no replacement, and having a beautiful, clean, splinter free deck in itself is the main selling point.

That article is sort of misleading, first they are talking boardwalks, a public walkway not a private deck/dock. Plus it's a wood company so they might be a bit biased.

I think your customers are inquiring about a very good, long lasting product that will provide them years of superior service.

Old 12-24-16, 03:55 AM
I can appreciate the longevity of composite materials, but that longevity is limited to the framework onto which it is applied. If it fails, all that money is for naught. PT came in at $1200, so I fail to see the lucidity of $7400 for a product that will outlast its framing.

This will be over water for 5 or 6 months at a time (until they do a lake draw down), so I see his point in wanting it. But if the framing is being exposed to the same elements, is there a benefit?

I agree with you that the commentator is a "wood" person, but the points are well made, and he makes that disclaimer right up front, so I have no problem with it.

I would prefer to install PT, but it isn't my choice. Thanks for all the comments!

Old 12-30-16, 06:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
email all the composite manufacturers and ask if their regular grade stuff will work. I think it should. Is this a floating dock right in the water or something? Then call lumber yards and you might find a sort of oops order or something that you can get a deal on.

If you use a light colored composite it won't burn feet.

If you use PT, I would soak it or do a bunch of coats in preserver like woolife coppercoat just to make sure it doesn't rot. I think of splinters eventually though if using wood, and then possibly lawsuits. yes I googled and some kid sat on a wood bench at school and they sued for a splinter. It's quite expensive but Deck & Concrete Restore® 10X is like a real thick paint over PT that hides splinters very well, and is very grippy so no slipping, much less slippery than composite or sealed pt, as long as the manufacturer confirms it's ok to use on a floating dock or whatever you're making.

Old 12-30-16, 08:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I love composite decking but that stuff is as slick as an ice rink when it gets wet. Do they make any with a pebbled/grained surface for traction?