Removing semi-transparent stain on deck on roof

Old 03-04-17, 10:02 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing semi-transparent stain on deck on roof

I have a large deck on my roof with failing semi-transparent stain. I want to remove it and use just a clear sealer. The wood is cedar and around 2-3 years old.

At my last place, I had great luck using Restore-a-Deck on my cedar deck and poor luck with just a power washer and several other products. It did remove the paint off of some aluminum trim.

My roof is rubber with an aluminum (silver) coating. My question is can I use this product to strip the deck or will it remove my roof coating? If I cannot use that, any other recommendations? We are talking around a 500 sq ft deck, so the easier the better.

I've had little luck with a pressure washer. Too low pressure and it doesn't remove anything and too high and it damages the wood.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-17, 10:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
You might not need to remove all of the old stain depending on what you intend to coat it with. I usually use TSP and bleach water along with a pressure washer to clean the deck prior to restaining. That may not remove all the stain but will remove any that isn't adhered well.

Old 03-04-17, 11:14 AM
M
The old sealer was a medium brown. I would say there is about 80-90% of it left. Looks terrible. I think it was a mistake trying to use a semi-transparent vs clear. The sun is intense up there. All my neighbors decks are peeling as well.

Old 03-04-17, 04:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Generally the more pigment a stain has the longer it will hold up [assuming the quality is the same] I've never used Restore-a Deck but most deck stain strippers should be ok over your roof. Rinsing the roof well will further insure it doesn't hurt the roof.

Old 03-07-17, 10:06 AM
M
I ordered the restore-a-deck stripper. I'll try it on a small area of the roof where the roof curves up.

I had great luck with it in the past making an 11 year old deck look new. My Father used the remainder on a 25 yr old deck that had solid stain and said it worked unbelievably easy. The stuff I've tried from big box stores just didn;t work.