Attached covered patio help!

Old 03-08-17, 06:35 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attached covered patio help!

Hello.

So we are attempting to build a 16 x 20 attached patio. I have a concrete pad so I will be attaching posts to the pad. I plan on running a 2x12 ledger board against the house. I will have 3 posts @ 10ft for the beam. The span from the house to the beam will be 14' with a 2' overhang using 2x6 for rafters. Wife wants a rustic look so it will be covered with Galvanized Steel Utility Panels.

1. Is the 2x12 ledger board the right size?

2. Will running (2) 2 x 10 on each side of the posts hold up the 2 x 6 rafters?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 03-08-17, 08:18 AM
R
Picture of design

This might help. If you have questions please ask. Thanks

Name:  Patio Design.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  19.2 KB

Old 03-08-17, 08:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Rob!

How thick is the slab under where the posts will go? a pic of that part of your house could be helpful.

Old 03-08-17, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
A couple things. I don't know if you live anywhere where permits are needed. That is your first step. If you do not have to worry about permits, you can build it however you like, but your current plan is probably underbuilt in a couple respects either way.

Anything attached to the house "should be" on a footing that is below frost... not just a pad. So let's assume where your posts will be going, you would cut a 16x16 hole in the pad, put a footing down, place a sonotube form on the footing and pour a column to place your posts and post standoff anchors on. If you want to place them on the pad you can, but most building inspectors won't approve that.

IMO attaching the beam (fasten both members together) to one side of the post is best, (notch one side of the post only) using 1/2" bolts. Your ledger can also be 2x8, assuming you will lag into each wall stud and attach your 2x8 rafters with joist hangers. (i would recommend LUS28Z double shear hangers). You will want to add staggered (or straight) blocking between the joists above the beam, and again at 7', and tie each joist to the beam with hurricane ties (I would use H1).

You will also need some gussets (braces) on each of your posts to keep the whole thing from swaying laterally.

If you are putting a tin roof on, I would probably recommend you overlay your roof with 2x4 purlins, (perpendicular to the rafters) laid flat, on 24" centers.

Old 03-08-17, 10:27 AM
Here's a typical patio cover in CA. Notice it doesn't call out rafter, beam and post sizes, X covered that. The plan does show you basic requirements and I think is a pretty good view.

Name:  pat150.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  33.5 KB

X mentioned post stand off anchors and notice in the drawing they call for the posts to be 1" above the concrete, he and the engineers are on the same page.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: