Pergola Advice

Old 03-09-17, 10:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pergola Advice

Hi,

So I built a space to keep our chickens a while back and now we just got rid of them. I'm thinking about building a pergola in this area now and would like to reuse my cedar posts that are already set in concrete below the frost line. Though the problem is that they are only a little over 6' tall and I would need them higher. I'm trying to come up with a creative (and safe) way to extend these 4x4s.

Their are plenty of articles about extending fence posts out there but not really any that are somewhat load bearing. Anyone have any advice that for completing this?

Was thinking I could lap extensions and then wrap in 1x6s for additional support but not sure. It would be worth the extra money to wrap vs digging them all out and replacing.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  20170309_121229.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  48.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-17, 02:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If instead of bolting beams to the sides of the posts parallel to the wall you mounted beams on top of the posts perpendicular to the wall, then your rafters could go the long way and would be raised by the height of the beams... That would give you better head clearance from the "front" (facing the wall) without having to do anything sketchy. You could attach lattice on the sides to prevent entry from those directions.