Help selecting patio location(with pics)

Old 04-16-17, 06:29 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Help selecting patio location(with pics)

Hello there, I am seeking your advise as to where should I build my concrete patio. I purchased a brand new townhome 18 months ago which came with a small yard space which is to the "side" of the home, and not in the back. In either case, I will be demolishing the existing concrete steps.

Plan 1(further away from main yard entrance as seen in the pic):
Size- 11X32, biggest hinderance here is two big window wells.

Plan 2(closest to yard entrance as see in the pic):
Size- 10.5X 26, biggest hinderance is AC unit in the corner and some utility and internet wires buried underground. Not sure if I can put concrete on it? What happens if the utility company has to dig the wires, does that mean they will break the concrete ?

WOuld greatly appreciate your assistance in making a decision. See pics for reference.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-17, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't want to place the slab where it interferes or intersects the window wells. The odds are the electric company wouldn't need to replace the service line. Sometimes they can fish the cable under a slab but if they can't - a portion of the slab would be removed.

Old 04-17-17, 07:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
I don't think having a patio against the window wells would be a problem except for the trip/fall hazard of the holes. I would only consider putting the patio on that side if you are able to excavate so the top of your new patio is at or lower than the top lip of the window well to minimize any potential water problem.

If you decide to go the other way with your patio I would double check what utilities you have buried there. From the pictures it looks like you have power and phone in that area. Either could be covered by concrete and obviously you should use care when digging for the patio. You may also want to bury conduit from the edge of your patio to the utility area just in case for future needs. The power is probably buried at least 24" deep and if that needs work they may not use your conduit unless they can verify it's depth but a conduit at a shallower depth could come in handy for future phone or cable needs. Also make sure that you don't bury the lines for your AC condenser.

Old 04-17-17, 08:49 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Could you add a picture looking down on the egress/window wells? There appears to be some type drain pipe in between them, what is that?

Old 04-17-17, 03:33 PM
T
@Marq1 - I'll try to take a pic looking down. What I have between the two window wells is a faucet(covered right now due to winter) and a cement block to let the water away from the foundation. Cement block is movable if I decided to build the patio on the side of the window wells.

@Pilot Dane - Thank you for you input.

@marksr- Thank you for you input. Would you mind sharing your thought process since you are suggesting the the slab may interfere/intersect the window wells?

Thank you All.

Old 04-17-17, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
My daughter lives in Highlands Ranch and they have similarly set up window wells, but they have steel cages over them to prevent falls. Lift out easily, but don't fall in.

I'll have to side with doing on the window well side. Too busy on the other side, not just because of the utilities being buried, but just wall-busy. Leave the utilities alone and enjoy the full patio.

Old 04-18-17, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
A steel cage as Larry suggests would take away the hazard aspect of falling into the hole but as PD stated you'd want the top of the well to be higher than the slab so water won't run off of the slab into the well.

Old 04-18-17, 05:37 AM
T
Thanks Marksr. I do have a steel cage.

I met a contractor yesterday who offfered to raise both window wells by 3 inches and flush the patio to the top of window well. Of course it will have a grade( believe he said 2 inch for every 10 feet) so the water goes away from the foundation. My concerns/questions:
(1) is this sufficient of a grade to ensure water doesn't enter the well/basement!as everything is flushed?
(2) will the three additional inches on top of window well eventually start to crack/chip off?
(3) will window well crack due to the concrete patio next to it?
(4) contractor offered to install about 4 rebars directly into the foundation which will connect the concrete patio to the foundation. Is this a good idea specially as the home is only 20 months old? Will the foundation crack due to the concrete patio?
(5) the contractor also suggested adding 4 caisson away from the foundation. Is this required or an unnecessary expense?

Thanks for all your wonderful feedback.