Attaching deck joist directly to a beam

Old 04-18-17, 11:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attaching deck joist directly to a beam

My 30yo deck was attached to a cantilever bay that sit's over a double doorway of a walkout basement. I am going to build an H frame using the design like the picture but due to the span of the bay I am going to support it with two (6x6) post on concrete footings. Can I simply support the triple beam of the H-frame with the posts or do I have to create another beam using 2x10's under the joists and tripple. If I need another beam then I see no point of making the H-frame.

Name:  imageedit_11_7065551485.jpg
Views: 4555
Size:  34.8 KB

I would like to avoid the beam for clearance under the deck.

I was thinking of using an engineered beam to make the post spacing as far as possible. Can joists attach directly with hangers to engineered beams?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-18-17, 12:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Its a structural question that is best handled by the permit office of your local jurisdiction. You will need to draw up some plans and submit them for approval. They are usually very nice and understand that you are a homeowner and want you to be safe. But you are correct, code says that you are not to attach a deck to a bay window.

Old 04-18-17, 01:47 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Actually just called them. Very cool people here. I initially found they didn't pull a permit when my deck was built 30 years ago. I was kind of angry at first but then realized that the deck was likely built before permits were required. I was worried that if I called them with my concerns they would insist I tear down the deck. Not the case. Advised that posts supporting a triple beam directly were acceptable given my specs. He even directed me to find a reputable carpenter as opposed to a structural engineer to save me some money for direction.

Thanks again.

Old 04-18-17, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with them. Supporting the triple beam directly is good. You must remove all the fasteners into the bay as the deck cannot be attached to it at all.

Old 04-18-17, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
One bit I would add, looking at your photo. Nothing structural (ledger and hangers) should be attached directly to your bay.

See figure 5 in DCA6.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: