Raised Patio Decomposed Granite

Old 04-20-17, 04:44 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Raised Patio Decomposed Granite

Hi. I was wondering how to level a decomposed granite patio. I did not excavate, I built on top of the ground. It's a 10 x 15 foot patio. I have 2 cubic yards of decomposed granite and a half cubic yard of sand. I spread out the decomposed granite. From googling it, I see that I should build it a slant. First of all, should I slant both the granite and the sand? Or just the sand? Second, how should I do it and make sure it's level the one way, but slanted the other way? I;ve heard of skreeing..

Old 04-20-17, 05:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I don't understand what you are doing with the DG and sand. Can you show us a picture or describe your plan?

Yes, screeding is how you level something like sand or gravel.

Old 04-21-17, 08:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Normally you put the slope into the base onto which you are putting the loose/porous materials like sand and decomposed granite since the water will just flow down through them.

Old 04-21-17, 06:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane, thank your for your response. I am not building just a decomposed granite patio. I'm building a (estimated) 3" base of decomposed granite, tamped and compacted. Then a 1" layer of sand is put in. Afterwards, I am laying down 12" x 12" red concrete pavers. It's approximately a 10' x 15' patio, not including the variable size of the pavers and the little 1/8th gaps in between.

I hope these two images will also provide you with the information necessary to form an answer. I can not provide a photo, but a description and edited drawing should be ok. I am wondering how to grade the decomposed granite. It's heavy and some larger rocks drag. Thanks!
Stickshift, thank you for responding. That would not work, I don't think. The "loose" materials will not slope with the ground. After all, you can level the slope couldn't you?

Attached Images   
Old 04-21-17, 07:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The granite, or crush and run is just fill material so you don't use as much sand. Without the crush and run, you would screed the base material and tamp flat. Then add additional screed lumber (2x2's for example) and fill in all the areas in between with sand and tamp down. Remove the 2x2's and and fill in those voids. Then lay your pavers on the screeded smoothed out tamped sand and then fill the voids between the pavers with sand to lock them in place.

Old 04-24-17, 08:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
OK, I mis-read at first but your picture straightened me out. Same concept as my first response that the slope goes in the compacted base layer but I now understand that is the granite. Then you screed the sand to a consistent 1" depth on top of the granite which would maintain the slope.

Old 04-24-17, 03:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
For screeding out a big area like yours I often use half of an extension ladder. At either end of the patio area I set up boards for the height I want including fall/slope for drainage. Then lay your ladder section or long straight board across your two guide boards. If you don't have a ladder or straight board long enough to go the full length of your patio then you can set up a board in the middle and do it in two sections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: